1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleeding money at American Airlines

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, May 21, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

We're getting fuel surcharges on trans-Atlantic flights already. I'd guess they'll come next on cross-country flights.

What pisses me off is when these stories cite airlines like RyanAir as examples of other airlines that charge for a checked bag. Yes, RyanAir does that. RyanAir also charges ridiculously low fares for its flights. Fares like 10 pounds. Or 5 pounds. Or, in the case of the sale they have going on now, nothing. Yeah, they're selling free flights. (OK, they cost .01. I guess they have to charge something.)

So yeah, they'll charge you to check a bag. And for a drink onboard. And to choose your seat. And a whole bunch of other stuff. And they'll herd you in and out like cattle, and their customer service, by all accounts, sucks ass. But you expect that going in, and the savings either make it worth it or they don't. If they don't, you go somewhere else.

But then there's a world of difference between .01 GBP and even a cheap flight on American.

I'll say this: If I do fly American, and they do charge me to check my bag, I'd damn well better get my 15 bucks back when they inevitably lose my bag.

2. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Exception is if you need suits/sport jackets and ties. Then the men's apparell takes up a whole lot more room.

And deskslave, that "cheap flight on American" for a trip I may have to make from New York to Chicago late next month is almost $350 round trip. This when there is at least 60 flights a day on five airlines from the NY area airports to Chicago.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And you'll be three hours late because of air-traffic control backups, but they'll tell you it's not their fault as though they weren't the ones who scheduled far more flights than the airport could manage on a perfect day.

Can't wait 'til they ask for another federal bailout. It'd be received about as well as a box of Nader buttons at an NRA convention.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

For those of us who travel to cover games _ but that travel and game coverage is often based on price _ we're screwed more ways than the Kamasutra.

5. American sucks. I stopped flying on them a few years ago and now use United if the domestic fare is right or if I need to travel internationally. United isn't much better, but it is better.

Domestically, however, I'll swear by Southwest. Their frequent-flyer program is the most transparent in the business.

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I've flown into O'Hare many times, so I am very familiar with that, especially in the summer. In fact, O'Hare might be the worst airport when it comes to that.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

The U.S. airline industry has been a net loser of money since Kitty Hawk. There's always some fuck-up that causes shit like this to happen.

I might look into sending my bag FedEx for my next trip on AA. Might be cheaper, and would certainly piss me off less than handing over $15 to the lady at the counter.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I dunno. The only time I've been in O'Hare was at about 5 in the morning, but the New York three are pretty damn awful, mostly because they can handle about 80 flights an hour, yet routinely allow the airlines to schedule more than 100 an hour.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If I were AA or Delta or another carrier, I would have done this a long time ago.

Business is business. Fuel prices are killing airlines and yet we flyers still want to take as many bags, free meals and not hear any guff from an attendant or ticket agent who could be out of a job soon.

As for the ticket jackets, they're a waste anyway and a good way to maybe save a tree or two. Print the ticket at the e-counter and stick it in your pocket.

Flying sucks and it's going to get worse unless fuel prices fall to about $20 a barrel.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Airlines hedge oil. British Airways says it has hedged oil at $85 per barrel through 30% of 2009.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's one of the reasons its higher, now. Huge corporate bets on inflated commodity prices frequently become self-fulfilling, for market reasons.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

About the terms printed on the ticket regarding one free bag....I have to believe somewhere on there it says something like 'these terms are subject to change without notice, so hahaha.'

Draft saved Draft deleted