1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleeding money at American Airlines

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, May 21, 2008.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

BINGO! They could have done this without creating an avalanche of bad PR.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Good points all. I'll check on it and let you guys know ...

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Even if, as a woman, I could get all my necessary items and clothing into a bag small enough to carry on, there is no way in hell I can physically get that sucker up in the air, over my head and into the overhead bin. My skinny arms on my 110 lb body just don't allow it. And for some reason, an airplane is the one place that no one ever steps up to help a person. I suppose that is due to the lack of moveable space.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You know, I've seen a lot more people helping each other with heavy bags on flights lately. Of course the fucking flight attendants, even the male ones, are never any of those people.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Armchair: point made. I was thinking things like under-eye cream. Not contact solution.

My bad.

6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Flying AA to Denver June 18th, returning the 22nd. My ticketing agreement specifically states one free checked bag, as long as it meets their weight requirements. Fuck them if they want to charge me.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well, it took me a grand total of about 30 seconds to find my ticket receipt on my gmail (another great feature). [/crossthreading]

Here's the customer agreement that was in effect when I bought my tickets:

http://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_US/customerService/customerCommitment/conditionsOfCarriage.jsp#Baggage

I've pasted the relevant passage below:

Free Baggage Allowance
    Each passenger may check free of charge one piece of baggage with total outside dimensions not exceeding 62 inches; some exceptions apply.

Checked baggage may weigh up to 50lbs.

Wheelchairs and assistive devices will be carried free of charge for qualified disabled passengers, and are not included in the free baggage allowance described above.

Extra charges apply to additional, oversized and/or overweight pieces. Certain items, such as skis and golf clubs, will be accepted under your free baggage allowance. Check with any American ticket office for further information.

I'm no lawyer, but it sounds like I've got a case for getting my bags on the plane free, no?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nothing compared to those bandits at Air Canada

1) $25.00 to check a second bag
    2) $40.00 (dropped from $60.00) fuel surcharge on each leg of any trip over 1600 kilometres
    3) A "travel assistance" fee of $25-$35. You know providing meal and hotel vouchers if there are weather-related delays. That's optional, but Christ almighty, charging for customer service?

That $99.00 flight to get my kids from Toronto to Halifax is now $200.00

9. Armchair_QB

You do but that doesn't mean the flunky at the ticket counter is going to let you check your bags without paying. Think about it, if they say you have to pay or you don't get your seat assignment, what are your options?

1. Pay the fee and make your flight.

2. Don't pay the fee and stay home.

You're fucked. So is anyone else who has already purchased tickets for flights after June 15.

10. Armchair_QB

American's already charging $25 for the second bag. However, we aren't getting cornholed for fuel surcharges or, tee hee, "customer service" yet.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

All the more reason to be proactive now, instead of waiting until the day of the flight.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted