1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleeding money at American Airlines

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, May 21, 2008.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If you want to know how bad it is at the airlines, while checking in yesterday I discovered that Delta has done away with ticket jackets -- yeah, those paper folders where you can put your boarding passes, luggage tags, etc., and which probably cost about a penny each.

My message to AA: If you think I'm paying extra to take my golf clubs on a trip, you've got another thing coming.

FORT WORTH, Texas - American Airlines will start charging $15 for the first checked bag, cut domestic flights and lay off workers as it grapples with record-high fuel prices.

American, the nation's largest carrier, said Wednesday the fee for the first checked bag starts June 15 and that it would raise other fees for services ranging from reservation help to oversized bags. The other fees will mostly range from $5 to $50 per service, the airline said.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Assholes

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Great, I've got non-refundable tickets on American for June 20 ...

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I hope American Airline executives come down with boils in very uncomfortable places for these charges.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I fly them on June 12 (for the outing) and back on June 18, so my bags go free out and for cash home? Cripes.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I wonder if you could make an argument that since you bought your ticket BEFORE this new fee went into effect, you shouldn't have to pay it.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You could.

But it won't work.

Fuck these goddamn gutless fucking assholes. How fucking horseshit is your business model if you're bleeding money when every fucking flight is full? I can't think of the last time I flew American when every seat on the plane wasn't full.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Great PR move here. Instead of just raising ticket prices $15 -- which no one would probably notice nor care about -- you start charging for what is a necessary service for 90 percent of the people who use your business. Good move, fellas.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If I were in that spot, I'd start making a huge stink with them right now. Don't wait until you're at the airport.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Bubbler (at American counter): Soo, it's $15 to check bags now, huh?
    American rep: That's right, sir, and we don't even give you one of the ticket jackets for your convenience.
    Bubbler: Fair enough. Here's my "bag".
    American rep: Sir ... that's a red-hot poker.
    Bubbler: And here's my $15, now why don't you just shove it up your ass.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd look at the terms you bought it under... If it says you can check two bags under a certain size free, or whatever the typically have been, they can't legally reneg. I'd imagine the change would have to occur for tickets that were bought after June 15, not just for people who are traveling after then, and they'd have to honor the terms for tickets bought prior to the change.

As for the change, I am not sure I get it. They are going to pis people off either way, but this is going to make check-ins take even longer as people argue and figure out how to pay for their checked bags, isn't it? It will might even cost them--in a short-sighted sort of way--as they need more people at the check-in counter to handle the increased duties assigned with the job.

Why not raise all tickets across the board rather than do this on a per piece of luggage basis? They already know what percentage of people check bags and could price it accordingly. It sounds like they want to discourage people from checking bags, maybe, so they can then maybe cut back on baggage handlers when the numbers inevitably decrease? Kind of sucks, though. No matter how short the trip, I always check my bag, because I don't like fumbling around with a bag with every idiot who packs their entire garage and tries to bring it on the plane with them when they travel, and also I don't feel like dealing with the "Is that toothpaste tube too big" stuff at security. Easier to just travel with a small bag with my computer and some necessities to get some work done or read.

12. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Can't wait to see the "carry-on" stuff people lug on board to try and beat the $15 fee.

Draft saved Draft deleted