1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleacher Report's Advanced Program in Sports Media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Anonymous135, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

That's a fine point and opinion, but I was trying to get input on the program itself as far as the instruction. Never been much of a fan of B/R either, but it has grown rapidly in the digital world and does hire some pro reporters now. And, $150/week for those hours isn't chump change.

Not that hard to read the OP and avoid responding if you have nothing to add on that front.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I really don't mean to be a dick, but your judgement is wrong. Do you have other experience or are you just starting out? If you're just starting out, this B/R gig is going to be a whole heap of nothing on your resume.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's very much chump change.

You would make more working at Starbucks.

4. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

That's at least $10 an hour if you're counting. Nobody said it constituted a full-time job, which, uh, isn't all that easy to come by in this field. Not that I need to tell you that. No different than freelancing for cheap.

5. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

Nope, I was sports editor at a D1, top research institution with dozens more clips interning/freelancing at a decent local newspaper. I'm guessing that's how I made it into their "top 10 percent" for acceptance into the program.

Haven't accepted the offer yet, so no, my mind isn't made up.

6. SnarkShark

So, you're just starting out.

BTExpress likes this.
  7. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

So, should I go for some $15-$20k job at a paper with under 10k circulation (less than my college paper) instead? I honestly am not sure.

8. Mr. Mediocre

Mr. Mediocre Member

What is the purpose of this thread beyond the OP starting a fight?

SteveRomano13 likes this.
  9. SnarkShark

I don't know. I don't know enough about you personally. If your clips are good, you should be able to get a relatively-good gig or at least an interview.

What I do know is that B/r is largely a cesspool. But if you really don't think there are other prospects out there for you, go for it.

10. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Didn't we have a post on here awhile back from someone who was in this program and did a story about it?

11. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

You don't need to know more about me personally. Finances aside, I'm asking as far as early-career advancement in the field.

Right now I'm freelancing college/HS football on Fridays/Saturdays and working some other crap part-time job. I get that free fan blogging doesn't hold weight, but I figured a paid position at a large digital outlet could be valuable depending on the quality of the instruction. And it would be a third "gig", not my primary source of income as LTL seems to think. Still, I know nothing detailed about the program.

12. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

Thoughts on this?

'Bleacher Report' claws toward respectability

But with a heavy cash infusion from parent Turner Broadcasting, which acquired it in 2012, Bleacher Report is now clawing toward respectability, spending more on talent, paring back on cringe-worthy stories and expanding its video studio.

"Bleacher Report is a legitimate major force in the sports industry," says Matt Yoder, managing editor of sports media blog AwfulAnnouncing.com. "They have the cash, writers, page views. One thing they lack is the reputation. And that is part of a bigger transition."

Draft saved Draft deleted