1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleacher Report

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Anyone know much about Bleacher Report? Looking at the site, open source is the key word meaning we don't pay.

Too bad it's mostly rants and guys stealing quotes for their recaps taken off of League Pass or Center Ice. It would be interesting if they had contributors go to HS or small college games and cover them instead of just watching something on TV..

2. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

The thing is most of sites like this are the exact same from some of the bigger onces like SBNation.com and MVN.com to SI's Fannation, Bleacher Reporter etc etc. None of them get credentials to the Super Bowl or a pre season game for that matter. So they have to cover the game from the couch and rant and rave about what they see.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

"Nicole" Gulbis is one of the hottest tennis players/golfers according to BR? Uh, OK. That's what happen when amateurs act as pros.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/794270-top-50-sexiest-golfers-and-tennis-players-whos-hotter#/articles/794270-top-50-sexiest-golfers-and-tennis-players-whos-hotter/page/29

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Hounds, release, etc.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

There's nothing special about it, but it is one of the biggest sports sites on the Internet. Last year I was one of their national "featured columnists" for college football, simply because I was asked and didn't have anything better to do and thought networking with some Fox Sports folks couldn't be a bad thing.

Occasionally, I'll write a MWC blog on my own site and also paste it there just to drive traffic back my way.

The more I realized BR cared very little for news and more for top 10 lists, the more I stopped reading stuff.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/85283/

7. TwoGloves

Uh, oh. Hope I don't get a timeout! I wasn't looking to start a fight, just thought it was stupid they didn't know the name of one of the most well-known and hottest female athletes out there today. My apologies.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'm going to get a screengrab of this for my slideshow "The 15 Best SJ Threads About Bleacher Report."

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Wouldn't it have been easier to just start a new thread? Granted, this is weak fodder for an entire thread. But bringing back old threads confuses people who forget to look at the time stamp.

10. TwoGloves

Yeah, but when you do that you get ripped for not posting on an old thread. Things like "How many Bleacher Report threads do we need?" I never looked at how old it was. I just did a search. Again, I wasn't trying to start anything. I just thought it was stupid they didn't know Natalie Gulbis' name. Shoot me if that's such a bad thing.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Yea, like meh.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Re: Hot golfers/tennis players...No. 39 Erica Blasberg

"This girl here is dead."

"Cross her off then."

Draft saved Draft deleted