1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleacher Report - What do you make of this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by IllMil, Dec 16, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Learn something new everyday.

Did he eventually have his own website/URL before going to ESPN? I'm pretty sure he did.

Of course today, it's a lot easier to set up your own website. Hosting is cheap & easy and you don't need to learn HTML to create a decent looking site.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No. Eventually, his popularity became such that AOL gave him his own URL (bostonsportsguy.com), but that redirected to the same blog hosted by Digital City, until ESPN.com bought it in 2002. (He already had been contributing for ESPN since 2000, IIRC, and those entries were separate from his work on Digital City. You could read him on ESPN without ever going to bostonsportsguy.com -- I think I only visited that site once, although I read him religiously on ESPN back then.)

Anyway, bostonsportsguy.com was never independent of AOL (Blogspot.com and Blogger.com, et al, weren't around yet; most people couldn't just start their own sites like that.) And it's not like he was making a ton of money off the site then, either. It was hugely popular for 4-5 years with AOL, but his financial success didn't come until he started getting paid by ESPN.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I always appreciate your coming back to a thread to answer a question.

I didn't catch on to him until he was on ESPN (and after being very excited by his columns, I eventually got bored by him) but remember people talking about bostonsportsguy.com -- kind of like how people tell you about seeing some big band back when they were playing high school gymnasiums.

I never knew it wasn't a stand alone website or that it redirected you to a Digital City blog.

Draft saved Draft deleted