1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleacher Report - What do you make of this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by IllMil, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Well, there isn't much that'll help somebody get a job at a newspaper these days.

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Good news. Al Gore says that's only a few years away! :D

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nailed it.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Good one! And, dammit, why do I read the posts that crack me up the most in the middle of the night?

5. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Update for anyone who cares:

I had a phone interview with Joe Yanarella today. Doesn't hurt to explore. For all the shit BR is getting, he was very nice and did not bullshit this position. He clarified more and said 10-15 stories is just a number he threw out, not a quota you are expected to hit. Some of the "stories" may be a headline with 50 words or so with links to other sites. He said the quantity depends on the news flow for that given day. He said it could lead to full-time employment depending on some things.

I dunno. I understand why many hate BR and what it represents but is there something to be said for the fact that Joe is probably doing a lot better than a lot of real journalists right now? Can you hate him for that? Still not sure what to make of all this, but I can say that sports sections haven't been banging down my door offering paid internships.

6. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

My problem with this is that if you're on BR, way more people are reading your stuff than your own blog.

7. Babs

Babs Member

BR is doing well by gaming Google. It's not getting those hits because people really want to know what they have to say.

See article "Why Google search loves Examiner.com"
    http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1946348,00.html

8. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

They have 6,000 Facebook fans and some of their top contributers have thousands of followers. So I don't think that's entirely true.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Illmil: it's seems as if you are leaning toward doing this. So do it and see where it leads. You asked for opinions and you got them.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't think anybody was hating Joe Yanarella, just questioning whether the time committment they are asking for is worth it.

11. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I am totally on the fence.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Listen, not calling you a liar or anything... But it seems pretty clear you're going to do this. Do you really want more input from the rest of us?

Draft saved Draft deleted