1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleacher Report Raises 10.5M, Becomes 5th Largest Sports Website

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Schottey, Dec 21, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Thanks for stopping by, Bleacher Report McGhee.

I'll continue to hate your site/name/SEO Raping as long as I have to troll through your sludge to get to items written by trusted writers and even BLOGGERS!

2. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sadly, your last sentence doesn't say as much as you think it does.

4. Schottey

Schottey Guest

*sigh*

I got yelled at for "not playing nice" last time...so here goes.

@longtimelistener: It was more, "do these things and we'll pay you." We added dedicated sales teams (East/West Coast), Patrick Keane (Associated Content/Google) and continue to reinvest in quality. The money rolled in.

@lono: It shouldn't be a secret I work for them. Sorry if you felt misled. I've talked about them in numerous posts and this isn't the first press release/story I've posted about them. They're a piece of the marketplace and SB Nation's similar investments/ventures were posted recently. You call it "pimping," I call it informing.

Also, I meant "elsewhere on "legacy" sports sites" sorry it was not communicating. But, if you're going to complain about YouTube links on sports sites, Yahoo, Fanhouse, and SB Nation deserve your ire for that as well (and thousands of bloggers elsewhere.)

@mustangj17 Are you aware it's possible to state your opinions, likes, and even dislikes without being a jerk about it? I deeply apologize that our company cares about money and driving traffic through search engines. Perhaps your ire would be better aimed at all the companies that don't care? I look at dozens of sites daily that (without changing content) could improve their SEO...they don't seem to care to do it, or learn how to do it.

5. lono

lono Active Member

6. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

lono, I just busted out laughing and nobody in the room knows why ... but that was good.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

A fool and his money are soon parted.

If so, then the bar must previously have been far underground.

8. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

B/R has found its niche, certainly, in the crappy "journalistic" world of all the fanbois.

It's amazing how many hits the site gets by folks searching for the hot sports trends. That's their trick. If a Sports name pops up in Google, an editor crafts a headline around said name and assigns story to a "writer." But Google isn't the only search engine B/R uses.

If something shows up in Yahoo or even Bing, the staff scrambles to get something up based around that trending term to maximize immediate traffic.

B/R developed something called a "quick hit", which is sort of like a live blog for the trending story topics. Writers can update this in real time, which pushes traffic to the site instantly and substantially increases reads, as long as it has 150 characters so that is shows up in the google and yahoo searches.

That is some crack reporting, there.

A friend I know who fell on hard times got desperate for some $$$ and went through the audition process. One of his first assignments centered around a UFC fight and Favre's junk "News of the Day" type quick-hit. He said within 15 minutes of it getting published, he had more than 10,000 reads.

They wanted him to work five days/week, eight-hour shifts, and the pay would have been $1200/month. Do the math on that. Had a choice between Sat-Wed or Sun-Thurs with no flexibility.

He was not impressed and declined. He's told me a lot about the place and how it works, and all they really care about is driving traffic to the site.

I'm sure there are some decent writers affiliated with the place, so I don't want to totally poo-poo it entirely. It just doesn't sound like the ideal avenue for traditional journos.

9. nate41

nate41 Member

I get a BR Newsletter in my inbox every now and then. It's actually pretty useful because it sends me links of news on my team. For example, I'm signed up for the Red Sox so I get links from the Globe, Herald, ESPN, NESN, etc. They've got some of their own "content," which sticks out with painful headlines, never ending top ten lists, and a teaser about a HUGE game coming up for the hometown team.

Of course I ignore this, but when I click on another link from a legit site it goes through BR so I gotta wonder if that contributes to the hit total.

I'll give them this. Despite being a bunch of no talent fan boys, they certaintly can make a nice little list of all the relevant news regarding my team.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

Exclusive photo of editorial discussion at the "Bleacher."

11. lono

lono Active Member

What do I like most about Bleacher Report?

The snazzy delivery trucks!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sorry about that lets try this again.

Dear Kind Sirr,

I respectfully disagree with everything you have said far on this thread. I feel your company has a proven track record for providing nothing more than shotty (no pun intended) editorial and recycled content.

I do not feel it is an accomplishment that your company has conquered the SEO marketplace as there are many ways to achieve this goal. You could get to the top of the google ranks by paying for it, or using black hat SEO practices. So instead of directing my ire toward ESPN, Fox, or FanHouse, sites I will actually visit for sports news, I will direct it to you and anyone else who wants to openly defend Bleacher Report.

Moreover, I get frustrated when I am searching for stories with quality writing and reporting and I am met with Bleacher Report articles. I will not read anything on that site anymore. The site has not proven itself to be good enough. And in my opinion it has a long way to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted