1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleacher Report hiring for sports content distributor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by blog415, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blog415

blog415 Member

There's a lot of good folks that do work at Bleacher Report which I have personally met covering games and they all have been real pros. Sure, some of their amateur writers suck but some are very good as well.

I'm not here to support them or hate on them. But I am not biased like most of you who said they hate it for no particular reason. I just give credit where credit is due and BR is doing great and near the top as far as sports sites goes when it comes to traffic and hits. That's how u get advertisers noticing u. Look at AOL Fanhouse. The quality is better there but they didn't garner any hits and SPorting NEws website is pretty weak but they have the brand name.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There is a reason people hate BR. It's not doing great. The company isn't making money right now and I don't see it changing for the better.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't claim to be the best writer around. And no one has ever confused me with a copy editor. But three words: Strunk and White.

4. blog415

blog415 Member

And to the guy who laughed and said I only get 6995 hits, sure I might not get 250 K hits since I'm not a daily paper, but I do my best and I work hard at what I do. I only make good enough money to make rent and eat a month but the emails I get from fans saying "Thanks" and the positive comments I get from them from time to time makes it worth it. A Lot of times they can't find a video or don't agree with the team beat writers but they agree with my views and appreciate it enough to write to me. This may be corny but it makes me feel good and warm and fuzzy inside.

I might get a "ur blog is stupid and dumb" comment from time to time but the positive feedback outweigh the negative ones like 10 to 1.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Where should I start?

- I tried to eat a month once. It was too much food . My stomach hurt for days.

- What month did you try to eat? I heard May is delicious.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Is the comma key on your keyboard broken? Just curious.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

In all seriousness though, if you truly can only afford rent and food for a month, maybe there is something wrong with your career goals and the company you work for. I'm not saying this to you because you work for suckiest web site that ever sucked. This happens to many traditional print journalists too.

If you can barely afford to eat, its time to look for something else. You may love sports, but its not worth it to be in poverty just so you can say you love what you do. I used to love what I do, but I also love being able to go to the bar and fill up my tank with gas and still afford groceries.

8. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Where should I start? ;)

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You work hard and try your best? Congrats. Maybe you'll get a scholarship.

10. Schottey

Schottey Guest

I think it should be noted here that Blog415 has no affiliation with B/R and although I appreciate his kind words, he can stop anytime...really.

As for this position, I would encourage anyone out-of-work who fits the profile to apply. The pay isn't much, but it's better than nothing. Which, at this stage of the journalism business is quite a bit more than many in our field are making.

Finally, the comparison between B/R and SB Nation here is a flimsy one at best. In addition to King Kaufman, we have plans in place for a number of external paid writing applicants. None of them are Rob Neyer, and we're OK with that. Rob was hired by SB Nation to write and help oversee baseball. King was hired to put quality controls in place for our entire writer base.

Finally, again to our friends here who are out of work/looking for work. I'd encourage you as well to apply for a paid writing position at B/R. Again, we're not talking about ESPN money, but its a paid gig at a company growing faster than many here are comfortable admitting.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I would not encourage anyone to apply for job that pays an illegal wage.

12. Schottey

Schottey Guest

You're right...everyone without a job should forgo freelance work or paid internships out of principle's sake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.