1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleacher Report hiring for sports content distributor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by blog415, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blog415

blog415 Member

I saw an ad for the great Bleacher Report website. Looks like a good opportunity since it's a paid position of $1200 a month and you get weekly regular hours from 9 to 5pm Monday to Friday. Not bad? Below is the ad. I did some research on Blecher Report and I found out it was one of the top sports sites online.

Please check out www.bleacherreport.com for a better look at what we do.

Required skills/experience:

--- Sports fanatic with a strong understanding of the NFL, NBA, College Football and College Basketball.

--- Internet savvy. It is important that the candidate is well-versed in the world of Internet sports. Checking blogs, monitoring major sports sites, and contributing to team specific forums are all examples of activities an ideal candidate would perform on a daily basis.

--- Possess strong writing and communication skills. Editing skills/experience is a plus; formal editing background is not required but a keen eye for punctuation and grammar is important.

--- Undergraduate degree in Journalism, English, or Communication is preferred.

Work requirements:

--- 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday-Friday out of our San Francisco office.

Compensation:

--- $1,200 flat stipend per month.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1217101

They're calling it a paid internship.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

$14,400 a year in San Francisco for a 5-day-a-week, 9-5 job. Not bad at all! I love the great Bleacher Report website. Thanks for sharing your research on Blecher Report. It's good to know that it is one of the top sports sites online. Much appreciated for the lead.

KJIM, They can call it whatever they want. Are internships really 40-hour a week jobs usually?

4. blog415

blog415 Member

Do you guys think it's a good job/internship if you are paid $1200 a month for a 8 hour a day job?

5. blog415

blog415 Member

Does it equate to $14,400 a year? OUCH. That is tough. A tolltaker for the Golden Gate Bridge makes $27 a hour.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Aren't internships in most careers full-time? Mine was, although it was unpaid and about 60 hours a week. It was only for six months or so, though.

7. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

my internship (a long, long time ago...) was 8 bucks an hour for 40 hours a week (paid) and another 20-30 a week (unpaid) because i loved it so much.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ouch. I am just out of touch, I guess. I did an unpaid internship out of college. It was not full time. I needed to earn money. Real money.

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

What are you, 9 years old? 10?

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Beats working at Taco Bell.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

$14K in San Francisco? That won't even get you a good park bench to sleep on!

12. BigEast24

BigEast24 New Member

I am no fan of Bleacher Report or the people who run the thing. Good luck to anyone who works for them. You'll need it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.