1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleacher Report / free content

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DisembodiedOwlHead, Jun 28, 2010.

1. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

This guy has done 500 free "articles" for Bleacher Report, but he REALLY believes it will pay off with a career in sportswriting!

(sigh)

http://adage.com/digital/article?article_id=144680

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Maybe making $15k will be a windfall for him. It's all perspective.

3. CR19

CR19 Member

Most of the crap on Bleacher Report is garbage that would never make a newspaper or credible site, but still draws readers. I see more things like "Why the Sox Deserve to Get Halladay" rather than "Report: Sox Looking at Halladay." Writers can write for free, but their work is usually more opinionated than a Glenn Beck soap opera.

4. CR19

CR19 Member

I have a question for you guys that fits in well with this thread. I have been advised by some writers to get as much writing experience as I can by joining a newspaper (have an internship right now) and starting a blog about a team, sport, etc. Would you tell someone that writing a blog is a good idea, given there's actually decent articles on the blog and not solely opinion rants)?

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's always good to practice your writing -- in a journal, a blog, e-mails to a friend, whatever. Just keep writing and writing and writing. The quality of the writing -- not the forum -- is what provides credibility.

With that said, nobody I know I know in the industry takes Bleacher Report seriously.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If you are writing for Bleacher Report, and your writing is good enough, you could easily spend your time and effort pursuing paying gigs. Again, if the writing is good enough someone will pay for it.

7. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

All negative BR rants noted and considered, Andrew really is a fantastic writer. BR helped open a few doors to him with press credentials. The check book should follow. It'd be tragic if someone in the industry really overlooked him because of the domain name at the top.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I write my blog because it is an opportunity to improve my writing by essentially just typing away about whatever interests me. No deadlines, word counts, or voice I have to follow. It helps me show off a nice body of work too.

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Of all things about the story on that link that could bother me, I'm most upset about the use of "Bleacher" and "Huffington" as some kind of acceptable second reference.

10. CR19

CR19 Member

Just out of curiosity, what's the name of your blog?

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

He's the stereotypical loser blogger, unfortunately. I don't know if "supported by his family" means they are paying his bills or not. I wonder what law school he went to, because I'd ask for a refund for admitting him if he couldn't pass the bar exam after three attempts.

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I think this is the most credible post in this thread. Even I have written many articles for B/R (no where near 500, as that is too much to not get paid), and I do it for ME.

I mean, what is honestly the difference between a blog and an article on Bleacher Report? Is "Word Press" really that much more dignified than "Bleacher"? It's all free, unless you make money off ads on your blog, but you won't make a living unless you become VERY successful.

Anyway, the point is that it gives the writer exposure. And if someone loves writing and is unemployed, then what is the harm? It may lead to something eventually. How else is somebody supposed to attain a position when jobs -- and internships -- are so hard to come by?

EDIT: I just came across news that B/R has partnered with The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Draft saved Draft deleted