1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleacher Report.com?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Aug 18, 2008.

1. So the first time I heard of this site was today.

And so let me get this straight - the entire goal is to basically try to put us all out of business because they believe fans can do this better?

Am I reading that right?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

FoxSports.com signed a deal with BR.com recently to provide "user-generated content" for Rupert's site.

But I doubt the site gets much traffic or rakes in money. Most of these Web 2.0 companies exist to sell out to an established company.

3. Death

Death Member

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/47830-br-will-never-be-official-unless-we-change-our-ways

Some fun snippets from the linked article:

"I am not even going to preface this article, I'm just going right into it.

OK, well, that was technically a preface. (Damn!)

Anyway, it has come to my attention that there are many people writing falsely tagged articles, making headlines that are irrelevant to the article, as well as writing stories that either have nothing to do whatsoever with sports or simply promote the author. Editors are also dropping the ball by not getting to articles or doing a good enough job upgrading them."

---------

"The people running this site work all day, everyday, to give us the privilege to write on this site for free, whenever we want.

Writing articles on Bleacher Report is not a right—it is a privilege.

Recently, a writer on this site was given access to a media pass for a St. Louis Cardinals game, and I thought that was the greatest news during my three months writing for this site.

I thought this meant that people were actually starting to recognize Bleacher Report as an official media site.

As a result, I have been in contact with the Philadelphia Flyers about reaching a similar arrangement.

Unfortunately, a person high up in that organization told me that they would never give a media pass to a member in Bleacher Report, as it is just people blogging aimlessly.

This both hurt and insulted me."

-------

I want everyone on Bleacher Report to promise that they will stop writing these stupid, pointless articles.

Not for me, not for themselves, and not for the other writers—but for Zander, Dave, Bryan, and everyone else on the Bleacher Report staff. They work their butts off to put a wonderful product online that lets us express opinions on our beloved sports for free.

Don't make them upset by having them hear from a media member, "Your website is pointless."

Guess the moral of the story is, you get what you pay for.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How did BR.com blogger get a credential to a Cards game?

It's sad that a blogger can't get into a Flyers game for free. We at SportsJournalists.com need to stand in solidarity with our blogger brethren and refuse to cover any sporting event in the county unless BR.com bloggers get credentials on demand.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well I was shopping for a cool career, which one's me?
    Life as a lawyer or maybe an SID

Too bad I didn't know journalism was whacked
    Cause now it's money, a car and a house I lack

B-L-E-A that begins to spell bleacherreport dot com baby
    Saw their ads on Foxsports.com, never thought it was the end of me

Now instead of fielding phone calls and writing stories
    My legs are sticking to the couch and all I do is watch My Two Coreys

B-L-E-A that begins to spell bleacherreport.com baybee

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

BYH listens to too much radio. Time to upgrade to XM or Sirius.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I DO have XM! I just see those commercials all the time on cable.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I've never seen those credit commercials on TV. I'm sure I'll here it a few times tonight when I pick my wife up at the airport.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It is on hear regularly.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

HERE!!!!

(damn that was fun)

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think you missed the point there, dickhead.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I was so eager to go IJAG on Moddy that I missed it.

What a dickhead I am.

Draft saved Draft deleted