1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleacher Report Changes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Schottey, Aug 4, 2010.

1. onetwo88

onetwo88 Member

My only problem with Bleacher Report is when I go to Google News, search sports topics, and some fan editorial from BR comes up close to the top.

I wonder if any professional journalists have ever gotten in touch with Google News to explain that this is bad, and a problem.

BR should keep on pumping out fun fan editorials. But the stuff should not be listed alongside or above newspaper articles

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I'm thinking of using the Bleacher Report model to start up a new business. I bet there's a zillion people out there who would love to be doctors, but just can't get hired by those snooty mainstream medical facilities. My website will allow anybody who is a fan of medicine to diagnose illnesses, post treatment advice, etc. It'll be fun!

3. Susan Slusser

Susan Slusser Member

As I mentioned in one earlier BR thread, they once had a contributor cut and paste a story I'd written. The entire thing, cut and pasted, and presented as the contributor's BR piece. Not a word changed.

BR did respond to my outraged e-mail, and to my editor's furious calls, promptly and with the expected degree of embarrassment, but there have been numerous times they flat-out take information and exclusive content from other sources with no credit, and despite complaints, it still happens regularly. I know, I check - I'm worried they'll wholesale steal a story again.

And yet, BR remains posted above Chronicle staff-written stories on the Chronicle's website, SFGate.com. Infuriating.

4. jrw

jrw Member

B/R obviously has some great knowledge when it comes to SEO. There's no other reasonable explanation for their articles being so high up on the Google news search.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well hurry the hell up, cuz I got this pain ***

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

And in fact, it's something B/R is very good at.

7. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I have several Google alerts set up and finally found a way to turn off the links to sites I don't want.

One of Google's help pages says to edit your alert to this:

"Fanboi Moddy" -site:bleacherreport.com

and you shouldn't get alerts from that site.

Draft saved Draft deleted