1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleacher Report Changes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Schottey, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Schottey

Schottey Guest

OK, much like Goldbach did a few weeks ago...

*full disclosure*

I not only write for B/R, I'm actually employed full-time by them. I am managing editor of an college writing internship (that IS for College Credit). Brad Goldbach was one of my interns in the the previous semester and Andrew Brining (mentioned elsewhere on this site) coordinates the internship part time.

A few things:

New editorial guidelines can be found here: http://bleacherreport.com/pages/editorial-standards-announcement
    Basically, people new to the site cannot start writing right away. They need to submit a writing sample. Also, more staff have been hired to be proactive about the quality current writers.

Recently hired new CEO, Brian Grey http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/20100616/fox-yahoo-sports-vet-brian-grey-to-run-sports-startup-bleacher-report/
    Has worked with Fox Sports and Yahoo! Sports...helped create Yahoo! Fantasy Football.

I have enjoyed reading the opinions about Bleacher Report here from people who work, or have worked, in the field of journalism.

Personally, as a person who has covered the NFL (covered as in being a credentialed member of the media in Minnesota and Detroit, covering the NFL Combine, and having over 100 interviews under my belt,) I am glad to see the NFL opening up its doors more and more every day to non-traditional media. It is harder now for me to get into NFL games than my radio days.

However, that is changing. The NFL and NFLPA are both open to non-traditional media and individual teams have varying degrees of respect for "bloggers."

The rest of American pro sports leagues are already ahead of the game.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yes, individual teams definitely have varying degrees of respect for "bloggers." At my local team's training camp, an uncredentialed blogger (or anyone else) could attend as a fan and blog/Tweet to their heart's content from the grandstands, while the credentialed journalists on the sidelines couldn't so much as lift a cell phone out of their pockets without a reprimand.

3. Schottey

Schottey Guest

Not really what I meant and unless you think a team should employ signal jammers, I think your anger is displaced.

CBS Rapid Reports are somehow out at the speed of smell, even for teams who have tight media policies. That means that those teams are either bending the rules for CBS or CBS is employing someone to sit in the stands with all of those dirty dirty bloggers. Why can't other publications do the same?

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Isn't that a partnership with NFL.com?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I never called bloggers dirty, so don't start that. I just don't understand the paranoia. I mean, I do because it's the NFL. But your average newspaper, sending one person to camp, isn't going to have them blogging in the stands instead of being in the media pen and getting a chance to talk to players afterward. Tell me how a credentialed writer blogging anything from the field is going to upset the apple cart at training camp.

6. Schottey

Schottey Guest

My apologies, I may have had my dander up after continuing to read the B/R threads on here.

I completely agree with you that it is silly for teams to have a lockdown on tweeting or communicating from training camp. It has to be a competitive advantage thing--aimed at other teams not being able to scout that much more. But, somewhat sadly, most beat writers are not NFL caliber coaching/scouting minds so their analysis isn't going to be much more than an opposing coach already knows.

7. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Seriously, WHY would you have your dander up? Do you honestly not think there's a ton of merit in criticisms of Bleacher Report?

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Never covered NFL, so I don't know how training camp works, but couldn't you watch practice from the stands, then head to the locker room/press area afterward?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Go as a fan and blog from the stands if it is an advantage.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Do the changes involve shutting it down?

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Or the OP gets an editor? I get the premise of Bleacher Report and I'm fine with fans blogging, but trying to pass it off as professional work is insulting.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The Los Angeles Times' Website includes Bleacher Report material as a major part of its coverage.

It could use better editing/quality control/standards/facts/less outlandish speculation/etc., so the move toward raising standards will be interesting to see.

Also:

I got a kick out of this part. More than ("over," indeed) 100 interviews? Sounds like a good three-four weeks for the average beat jockey.

Draft saved Draft deleted