1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blazing Saddles?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mooninite, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

Just curious in this day and age of Imus and other racially-charged topics could the movie Blazing Saddles be made in this day and age or is it a relic of the past.

I find it very funny but in these times others might find it offensive.

What do you think?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No it could not.

SlapShot could not have been either.

The Godfather line about animals and drugs would have been removed as well.

Heaven is a Playground would have been edited to remove the cockroaches or locust analogy.

Not saying this is a bad thing or a good thing. I honestly don't know.

I do not think Borat could have been made 30 years ago either though.

3. Maybe on its simplest level Blazing Saddles could be construed as racist ... ie. constant use of the n word ... but otherwise it's hardly offensive.

The main character is a black sheriff who outwits the white dolts with the help of a white drunk. Sure, the sheriff pantomimes a bit but again the joke's on the whites. If anything, you'd think white people would be offended but that would be the first I've heard of it ...

As far as being made today ... nah. Neither would be Cannonball Run, but that's not a bad thing.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Not a chance.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I think I'll pop it in and watch it and laugh my ass off and reply then.

But initially, no, it couldn't pass muster in this day and age.

6. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Not a chance.

7. joe

joe Active Member

It could be made, but it would not find wide distribution. A few showings, then direct to video.
    In any top 10 of funniest movies of all time.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I once sat and watched Blazing Saddles with John X. Miller, the former USA Today assignment editor, and I watched him very carefully to see when it was okay to laugh.

He laughed a lot, so it was OK.

9. occasionally

occasionally Member

Has anybody got a dime?

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Funny you should say that, considering they're getting ready to remake it.

Taggart: "Send a wire to the main office, tell them I said - OWWW!!"

Lyle: "Send a wire to the main office, tell them you said 'ow.' Got it."

And the best exchange, bar none, in the entire fucking film:

Hedley Lamarr: "I want you to round up every vicious criminal and gunslinger in the west. Take this down: I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, half-wits, dim-wits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, horn-swogglers, horse thiefs, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass kickers, shit kickers, and Methodists!"

Taggart: "Could you repeat that, sir?"

[​IMG]

11. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

I'm also thinking All in the Family wouldn't stand a chance of making it to network television today.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

On a different note (not intending to threadjack), how about Mel Brooks' Silent Movie? Would it get made today?

Would the public go for a Silent Movie in this day and age (having to read the dialogue on the screen)? Would the actors/actresses of today go for a film where they have no lines, where they have to rely on body language and physical pratfalls to make the film work?

Draft saved Draft deleted