1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blame it on Rio...........2016 Olympics Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

EXPERT TO RIO TRAVELERS: 'DON'T PUT YOUR HEAD UNDER WATER'

Just days ahead of the Olympic Games the waterways of Rio de Janeiro are as filthy as ever, contaminated with raw human sewage teeming with dangerous viruses and bacteria, according to a 16-month-long study commissioned by The Associated Press.

Not only are some 1,400 athletes at risk of getting violently ill in water competitions, but the AP's tests indicate that tourists also face potentially serious health risks on the golden beaches of Ipanema and Copacabana.

The AP's survey of the aquatic Olympic and Paralympic venues has revealed consistent and dangerously high levels of viruses from the pollution, a major black eye on Rio's Olympic project that has set off alarm bells among sailors, rowers and open-water swimmers.

In light of the findings, biomedical expert Valerie Harwood had one piece of advice for travelers to Rio: "Don't put your head under water."

News from The Associated Press

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That "don't put your head underwater" thing is going to make the swimming leg of the tri interesting.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

From a friend of a friend's twitter staying in the media compound.
    It appears there is a backup of some kind.

[​IMG]

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I understand millions in the US will watch. No problem with that. But I have less interest in these Olympics than any I can remember, probably dating back to Munich in 1972, when I was just starting college and didn't care about anything outside my little cocoon.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Did anyone here watch The Nazi Games on PBS tonight? Pretty good show, all focused on the summer Olympics, but they didn't say squat about the winter games held in Garmisch-Partenkirchen in Feb 1936.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One thing that's really noticeable in this Olympics is now many repeat Olympians there are. Michael Phelps has now been on the scene almost as long as Bartolo Colon. There's a repeat woman gymnast from the Boston area, Aly Raisman, and that never used to happen. Usain Bolt's no fresh face, either. It's probably an inescapable part of the professionalization of the best-known Olympic sports, but part of the appeal of the Games to me was the fact it had a new cast of characters every time.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Basically every time a city over spends on this nonsense it's a tribute to Hitler.

Vombatus likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

USWNT begins pool play tonight.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yep. Even the excessive pomp, fanfare and torch relay trace back to Kraut.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And it was nice to see the IOC was just as quick to turn a blind eye to human indecency then as they are now.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted