1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blake Griffin is not of this world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 23, 2011.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Stopped about 18 years ago. When Michael Jordan tripped over Dennis Rodman's leg and a foul was called on a defender 5 feet away, I exited.

Just curious how in a league where 1 player can make a huge difference, two stars "on the verge of greatness" can only win at a .395 clip. I know "great" has been watered down to mean "slightly above average" these days, but . . .

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Aren't they both rookies? Gotta crawl before you walk.

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

BT-they lost their first 12 with Chris Kanan out for all but two games this year (suspect he's done as a Clipper) and Baron Davis was way, way, waaaaay outta shape and didn't get substantial minutes till the second week of December.

They've beaten the Heat and the Lakers in the past week or so. It's a fun team to watch, like Payton-Kemp-Schrempf era Sonics fun.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Blake's half white, so he's not as good an athlete as most American NBAers, but he's a gym rat who works very hard.

5. Am I the only one that was completely underwhelmed by that dunk? I'll see that a dozen more times this year from players with far less name recognition than Blake Griffin.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How many times have we been told that the Clippers are on the verge of something?

7. WSKY

WSKY Member

They may have a ton of potential and it might fall flat, but Griffin is a big reason why I started to watch the NBA again.

8. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I've seen at least five better dunks than that ... by Griffin.

I think what made it definitive of the Griffin Effect is the non-chalance with which Eric Gordon just sort of flipped the pass up there without really looking or caring where the ball went. He knew Griffin would just locate it and rip it through no matter what the circumstances were.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Oh, my.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Great googily-moogily.

11. joe king

joe king Active Member

Really? You guys don't recognize sarcasm when you see it?

12. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Eric Gordon is in his third season in the NBA.

That was No. 12 Eric Bledsoe (another rookie) who threw the oop, not Gordon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted