1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blade Runner mistakes girlfriend for Replicant, shoots and kills her

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Norrin Radd, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

All I can say is, I'm stumped.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He was trigger-happy and reckless, it seems.

That doesn't make him a murderer.

Like I hinted at in a prior post, a lot of this stuff about Pistorius that's coming out makes it seem more likely, not less, to me that this was an accident.

All bets off, of course, if the prior incidents are violent domestic ones.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is going to make a great TV show when he tells authorities about the mysterious man with no legs.

4. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

You know, there is that passage from NYT Magazine feature. Probably should have included it earlier:

And Dick, I was never implying that he was a murderer. Those passages from the magazine feature were meant to imply that he is reckless, that he might not always think through things. Either way, a sad situation.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

If you kill someone, you're a murderer. Pretty cut and dry to me.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

If he does go with the intruder defense, it'd be interesting to hear what was different about this one compared to the one mentioned in the Times mag piece. There he investigated. Here he...starts firing blindly when he hears a sound?

There are countless horrific home invasion stories in the country -- Charlize Theron's childhood home (where the mom killed the dad...or was it Charlize that killed him, as a book I read argued) was the site of one last year, when several men broke in, tortured and killed the homeowner.

I returned yesterday from Cape Town and during all my trips there, which have totaled about 10 weeks, I've never felt in danger, either in homes or when out on the streets. But maybe that's just the naivete of a traveler. For someone from there, like Pistorius, maybe the sense of danger is much more real. Add in a gun and maybe it was an accidental shooting, though I don't buy it. Like Dick said, the details of the previous domestic incidents will be interesting to see.

7. Dick Whitman

Seriously?

8. Dick Whitman

Maybe he investigated this time and saw a shadow or a silhouette, which would differentiate it from the last one.

I don't know if Oscar Pistorius was aware of Sean Taylor, but I suspect that he was. I suspect a lot of athletes are.

Totally different situation, but after Taylor and the court of public opinion that had him convicted of ... I'm not sure of what ... before his body was cold, I eagerly await more details here. Doesn't mean we can't speculate, though, based on what's already out there.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I wonder if they will put him in blade shackles?

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

How, exactly, does a man with no legs tiptoe?

11. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Not so cut and dried.
    In this case, it would depend upon what South Africa defines as "murder".
    For the U.S., according to the A.P. Stylebook:

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

At least a manslaughterer.

Draft saved Draft deleted