1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blackout in Atlanta?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Oct 30, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Falcons could be blacked out because of low ticket sales. Even if they're not blacked out, will anybody watch?

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/10/30/falconstix_1031.html

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Big whoop. Growing up near Philadelphia in the 80s, this was a way of life.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Thought this was a disaster thread...sheesh, first the water is disappearing and now the electricity!

4. novelist_wannabe

Tix were cheap, you could by upper deck then upgrade in the middle of the second quarter, a practice learned from empty Braves games.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hell, I still do that at Braves games. $1 skyline or $5 G.A seat for about three innings, then slip into a row behind the dugout to watch the rest of it.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Atlanta has a football team? No shit...

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

People forget the Detroit Lions were often blacked out when they played at the 75,000-seat Pontiac Silverdome. It was almost a weekly occurrence.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Used to have Raiders and Rams blackouts in SoCal all the time.

No problems with that where I'm at now. Except the team stinks.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Often? Other than Thanksgiving, they probably showed like two home games from 1994-2006

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Exactly. I can remember Ford and Chrysler and other huge corporations scrambling to buy up ticket lots when it looked like there was a chance a game would be soldout.

11. The Commish

The Commish Guest

Silverdome had football seating for 80,300 and change.

12. novelist_wannabe

I've never really understood the blackout rule. You're going to create interest in your game by not showing it on TV? They have to sell 3,000 seats by tomorrow, or the game will be blacked out locally. The Georgia Dome seats 71,000, and I take this to mean they'd sold 68,000 at press time. There are 16 stadiums in the NFL where they would have already qualified to lift the blackout.

Draft saved Draft deleted