1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blackhawks fan shows Namath how it's done

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Yeah, but did the fan score?

Take that anyway you want.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Don't wish that evil effin' empire on her. She's much too nice and down-to-earth to join that rabble. WWL needs to get told "No!" a helluva lot more than it does. Life is short, screw ESPN.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Good call. Screw a job that has good benefits, awesome pay and mostly good people and allows you some creativity. Stay in your shitty newspaper job. Show the man!!!!

4. Joe Williams

What in the world are you talking about? She already has a TV job and seems pretty damn happy.

5. imjustagirl

You said it needed to be told a helluva lot more than it does, and screw ESPN.

You had moved on from her specifically. So I did as well.

6. Joe Williams

So you take broadsides at everyone working in newspapers, with the assumption that by definition they have shitty jobs? OK, that's real smart.

Pay, benefits and colleagues are a personal call and vary dramatically by individuals, in or out of ESPN. Another bad presumption.

And the frat-house crap that emanates from that joint, based on both public and private accounts, suggests there is a tradeoff that a lot of people who are content in their current jobs would face.

You want to convince yourself that working for ESPN is the Holy Grail of careers, go right ahead. It's not the brass ring for everyone, though, and IMO it needs to get over itself.

It also has become a mess, in terms of perpetrating sports journalism, again IMO.

7. imjustagirl

OMG, I came up in newspapers. I wouldn't go back now, for obvious reasons, but I love newspapers.

Again, my point was that before you say everyone should say "fuck you" to ESPN, that some people may prefer the working environment there and the benefits and the multi-thousand-dollar bonuses every year over shrinking newshole, early deadlines and gift cards to the local grocery at Christmas.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

The little kid that was shooting the puck at the time scored. Fantastic metaphor. ;D

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait just one second.

There are still newspapers that give out grocery store gift cards at Christmas?

10. imjustagirl

I thought there was one, and I wanted to focus on the positive so Joe wouldn't bite my ass again.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Jelly of the Month Club, actually.

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

That's the gift that keeps on giving, Clark.

Draft saved Draft deleted