1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blackest Night

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by greenlantern, Jul 17, 2009.

1. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Just wondering if anybody picked up the first issue of this and what they thought.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I almost started a thread on this Wednesday. I wonder if we have enough fans for a running comic book thread?

I thought it was outstanding. The choice of the first Black Lanterns to do something terrible was excellent, just because of the history of those two characters (trying to avoid spoilers here).

I'm guessing from your handle that you would have read the prologue in the regular Green Lantern series. I highly recommend doing so to anybody who has an interest in this. You can do without it, but I think it enhanced the story.

This already puts Final Crisis to shame (I really hate Grant Morrison). It's a great start and there is so much story potential. I just hope they can follow through and eventually come up with a strong ending.

3. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I've practically been reading anything Geoff Johns writes. I felt myself caring more about this story in one issue than all of Final Crisis. FC just never really had that human element to draw me in.

Also, my jay hit the floor at the ending of the first issue. Did not see that coming.

4. outofplace

Neither did I, but I thought it was perfect.

I love the idea of a comic book event focusing not just on death, but on cheating death, within that universe. It has gotten to the point that death is almost meaningless in comics because so many characters return from the grave. DC and Marvel are both guilty of it. I think it is tremendous that DC is actually telling a story that in some way addresses that issue.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

[​IMG]

Wait, you said "night." Not "knight."

6. outofplace

Just read the first regular issue of Green Lantern since the event started. Really interesting how they portray the Black Lanterns. Ralph and Sue Dibny were played as malevolent versions of themselves, but Martian Manhunter seemed to retain a bit more of his personality.

I wish I could remember who put the Oreo on his coffin. I can't decide if the closeup on it was silly or poignant.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

That's tight.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Spent some time at the bookstore recently thumbing, with some intrerest, through a trade copy of the Marvel Zombies thing. Interesting.

9. outofplace

Which one? There have been three or four miniseries, I think. Supposedly good stuff, but not my thing.

10. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

It was Batman (Bruce, not Dick).

11. outofplace

Thank you. I can't believe I forgot that. Perfect, little Batman-shows-his-human-side moment. This little thing that nobody else would think to do. Which I'm sure is why they bothered to make such a big deal of it falling to the ground and breaking.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I just grabbed it, and I admit I'm not a big DC fan, but when did Batman die? Or am I reading that wrong? I'm totally confused.

Draft saved Draft deleted