1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

blackberry?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by accguy, Oct 10, 2006.

1. accguy

accguy Member

A question: Who out there has a blackberry?

If so, is it a serious aid to you in doing your job? If so, how?

I have a bit of a desire to get one, but I wonder if it's really worth it.

Thanks much.

2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

It's worth it if you can get your office to pay for it :D

Seriously ... how often do you need access to e-mail when you're not at a computer? If you need to e-mail back and forth with a source on deadline, or just receive a lot of e-mail when you're in the field, it's invaluable. If you're a college beat guy (guessing from your name), it might even be worth it to have 24/7 Internet access to those annoying but never-know-when-there-might-be-a-tip fan boards.

Of course, then your office knows they can e-mail you AND call you 24/7.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I prefer blueberries myself, preferably inside fluffy pancakes.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I tried to use one once and couldn't figure it out. I don't need to expend that much effort getting e-mail. It's usually there when I log on to a real computer anyway.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've got one and I love it. I've filed many a story on it. You don't have to hunt for a wireless hot spot or an analog land line.

And, during a break in the action, you can surf SportsJournalists.com.

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

[​IMG]

Best phone ever.
    The Treo makes the Blackberry look like a rock.
    My Treo is my photo album, MP3 player, movie player, address book, calender, Internet source away from home/work, crossword puzzles (or Sudoku), calculator, camcorder, etc.
    Awesome device.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have a Blackberry (I'm a lawyer, not an SJ). It is a great tool for anyone, even though the cost is $50 a month for the e-mail. I have numerous e-mail accounts go to it, so I am always connected. The web searching is decent, but the device has a lot of faults. PDFs and other attachments are hard to read and the phone is iffy at best, meaning I have to carry two devices.

If you need to have access to your e-mail on the go, it is worthwhile.

Draft saved Draft deleted