1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blackberry? Palm Pre Plus? Help!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dr. Howard, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

I am due for an upgrade of my old Blackberry 8830. My thumbs are killing me from the trackball. Does anybody recommend anything else? I think I am too stupid to handle all the apps in an I-phone. Just really need to make calls, heavy texting, email, web. Who owns what? How do you like it?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Good timing. I'm about to suck it up and get a Blackberry. I've resisted for several years because I don't like being "on call" 24/7 but I've got a lot on the plate right now. I think the Tour is the model I want but I'd really like to hear some of the pros and cons from the group.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My blackberry Bold 9700 has a track pad. The new curve has a track pad as well. In terms of overall fun, I wish I would have gotten anything by HTC -- the new Droid Incredible is supposedly lights out. But I need my full keyboard. No touch screens.

If you don't mind a touchscreen, start looking into HTC phones.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I used to have the 8830, loved it. I didn't stay the blackberry route for several reasons (mainly price, lower bill) but if I were to get back with Blackberry, it'd be the Tour hands down. Having said that, after having my iTouch for a few months, the iPhone is my next step. The touch screen is so damn easy to use and navigate - notifications for email, texts, FB updates, twitter etc. - which I'm sure all smart phones can do now.

A few of my friends have the Motorola Droid and I have fiddled with it a few times. It has a slide out QWERTY keypad with a D-pad for easy navigation if you do not wish to use the touch screen.

Tho all in all, I felt my 8830 was the quickest to navigate for emails and such. But for internet, it doesn't even come close to my iTouch.

5. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Just got a Motorola Droid a few weeks ago and love it. Has the touchscreen/apps market if you're into that, plus the slide out keyboard (in addition to touchscreen keypad if you want it) if you're a heavy e-mailer/texter. Best phone I've ever owned by a longshot.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I have the Pre.. Posting on it right now. I'm not interested in apps - my main use is web access. It's great for that.

I also use it as a phone and camera.

I'd be happy to tell you more if you need.

HTH.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's another thing, the new Droid Incredible sucks for apps, but it has a 8 megapixel camera and 1 GHZ processor. It is as fast as my last desktop was. Which I purchased within the last decade. Crazy.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about Blackberry conversion this summer, and like the reviews on the Bold. The problem is I have ATT now and have grown to hate it.
    What's the best Blackberry on Verizon?

9. Madhavok

The Tour.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'm a Verizon guy who's about four months away from a two-year upgrade. The Droid is the current front-runner, but I'm also look at possible Blackberries. Also, has anybody had any experience with the Motorola Devour? It looks kinda like the Droids little brother, but it's a little sleeker and the keypad buttons are raised, probably making them easier to navigate.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It beats me why anyone would sign up for service with anyone but Verizon. Their are stories almost daily about the problems ATT network has with dropped calls.

Just tested the Incredible. Seems like a pretty amazing Phone. Downfall for me is now Qwerty keyboard for my fat fingers.

12. Madhavok

Because the best phone out there hands down is on ATT. The Droid is nice, but not nearly as smooth as the iPhone.

Draft saved Draft deleted