1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blackberry owners

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I'll never tell, Oct 8, 2010.

1. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Basically the day AT&T handed me the phone, I've just used it as a phone. Or a smartphone.

I've never downloaded any updates, or any apps. As far as the updates go, is this critical? My phone has been acting crazy (getting emails only in spurts), I was wondering if the updates would be the cause of it.

I'm not really savvy when it comes to these kinds of things and have just avoided it because I was afraid I might screw something up.

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

You need to do a battery pull. Shut off your phone, take the battery out, wait about 10 seconds, replace the battery, turn the phone back on.

And yes, you should take advantage of updates when they're available.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Battery pulls are a staple of my day. And the e-mail thing happens to me with my gmail app all the time.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I switched to bb about two months ago and have no complaints.
    The only trouble I had was early on. The battery would drain in less than a day.
    Turned out to be an ID10T problem. I was shutting off applications/functions correctly, so they were continuing to run in the background.
    E-mail works great.

I want to replace my map application. And I have yet to fix my weather info. It came preset to New Jersey.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I got a new one this week and the battery has been draining really fast. Do you know if there's a place you can see what apps are running?

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Try hitting the alt and back buttons together. That should show what's running.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

actually, if you hold down the menu button, a icon list of running programs will pop up. There are five (at least on Verizon) that run all the time: Home screen, Phone, Messages, BB Messenger and Browser. You can never get them to disappear. If there is anything else, then it's an app running and it could be draining your battery.

I use the Google maps download for my maps app. But if you use Latitude on it, you need to make sure you suspend sharing when you shut it down, or it will drain you battery quickly.

My favorite app is the Kindle app from Amazon. I always have my books with me.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Battery pulls are the bane of my existence. I am going to get rid of my Blackberry as soon as my contract is up.

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

There are apps like quick pull that do a battery pull reset instead of having to physically pull the battery

10. Battery pulls are bullshit, but it is seriously 30 seconds out of your day. If necessary, do it when you get up or go to bed or at lunch, etc.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

had a bb for 2 years and never once pulled the battery. am i missing something?

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've only had to do it 3 or 4 times in over 5 years of having various Blackberries. I guess we're lucky.

Draft saved Draft deleted