1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blackberry Help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Matt L., Aug 21, 2008.

1. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

Hey, guys. Just wondering what the best type of blackberry is. I'm looking to get a new phone (I have a RAZR V3 right now) around September 12. I was going to get the Blackberry Curve 8310, but my dad got it, and I don't really want the same phone as he does. And I looked at it, and I didn't really like it in my hands. I was thinking something like the 8820 or the 8800. I do a lot of texting, but I don't browse the internet or whatever. Just wanted to know if anyone knew about blackberries if they could help me out. Thanks. Oh and I'm with Cingular.

And again, I'm not sold 100% on getting a blackberry but I don't know of any other really good texting phones that Cingular has. So if anyone else has any clue what to do here please post. Thanks. :)

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I had a Pearl for a couple of years before moving on the the Curve. They both have their strong points -- the Pearl is a lot lighter, the Curve has the full keyboard -- and you're probably not going to go wrong either way.

3. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

Eh, I was advised not to go with the Pearl because of its keyboard actually by some of my friends. And it's not really a phone I'd look into. And also, what are the required rate plans that go along with a blackberry? If there is a rate plan that requires me to use something that I don't even use, then I guess I'll look elsewhere for a different phone.

4. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Since you say you're with AT&T...

Wait until around October, they should release the Bold (the 9XXX series) by then. Its already been delayed twice though.

If you wanted to switch to Verizon, they are coming out with the Thunder (95XX series). Its a touch screen and may be the best "iPhone killer" to date.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

With a Blackberry you have the phone plan and the data plan. Phone is your basic phone plan and the data allows for unlimited e-mail and online access. I hardly ever use my phone to go online, usually when I need directions, but I get both my work and my personal e-mails through my Curve.

If all you do is text, then it's probably not worth it.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

This is my work-issue BlackBerry. It's a little on the ... um ... old side. But it's fairly reliable. I wouldn't recommend it, though.

Of course, they probably don't sell it anymore. :D

[​IMG]

7. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

With AT&T, I believe you can get a BlackBerry, carry the data plan for 60 or 90 days (not sure) in order to get the subsidized cost of the phone - and then remove the data plan.

BIS data plans run 30 a month, so even at 90 bucks for 3 months, saves when compared the retail price.

I'd advise doing that if you can...especially on AT&T. Their Berries have GPS (doesnt require online, i think?), make your own ringtones and generally better phones than those Motorola, et al. pieces of shit.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I love the curve. Its my first smart phone so it took about a week to get used to, but the camera in it is awesome, I added in a 2g memory card so I also don't need my ipod. Its my phone, camera, and mp3 player in one.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I have a Curve and I love it. But yes, it really depends on what you want to do with it for what plan you should get. If you think you'll get online to check CNN or ESPN or whatever a lot, you should get an unlimited data plan. (One thing about it: I use mine mostly to check the Weather Channel when I'm out covering games and I see angry looking clouds.) But yes, it has GPS, but the service costs $5/month. (And, if you happen to have the unlimited data plan, I've downloaded Google Maps to an icon on my desktop and it can tell you where you are and give you directions as well.) The full keyboard is handy. It takes a little getting used to when you're first using it.

I'd definitely recommend it. I've had mine for two months and I LOVE it. I upgraded from the Razr (well...it wasn't so much an upgrade as I moved 700 miles away to a new state where they no longer had Alltel, so I pretty much had to suck it up and get AT&T and go from a plan where I could talk to my entire family tree...literally...for free to now it costing me minutes.) and it's so much smoother and it gets a lot better reception and call quality.

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Get Verizon... better service than AT&T. The Curve is 169.99 with 70 dollar rebate. VZW also has an unlimited text and data plan too.

11. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I've got the 8830 world edition and love it (verizon). Texting is getting easier, love having my email sent to me like a text (same with facebook updates, ha). The only thing that is bothersome is my company email does not support BES. Other than that, it's epic.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm surprised that doesn't have a rotary dial.

Draft saved Draft deleted