1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Black Wednesday' in Tampa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Let's not forget those who are written off as too old "experienced" or not filling some hiring editor's checklist for diversity, a value that only truly kicks in at the job level immediately below the hiring editor and his/her career ambitions.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Would be nice to see if he tried to submit it as a letter to the editor and dared them to print it.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Andy Staples is my new favorite writer. Well done.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I could see it being sent to an alt. weekly (assuming Tampa has one) and watching the oohs and aahs.

5. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

He should send the letter to Romenesko.

6. Grey

Grey Member

Not necessarily. Been there, done this. Still here. Carter has loads of connections, but clearly times are really tough.

If he decides to stay in, I have zip doubt that he will. Just likely not in Tallahassee and, unfortunately, the bounce-back could take some time in this insane climate.

Unless he goes .com, and he has all sorts of links there.

7. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They don't? Tell that to Raleigh's excellent SE, who was laid off.
    They do in some places and will in some more.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I know one last month who did and was told no and he may leave on his own now. I think there are more managers like that than people realize. They'd take a hit for their teams.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is a very dark thought, and it may seem untoward coming from someone who's three years away from his personal massacre, but I read this thread and I have to say it to people who care about this issue (a declining group in the outside world).
    One reason newspapers are failing is that they deserve to.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, he should send it to St. Pete.
    We, as an industry, already know how fucked up the situation is. The readers deserve to know en masse.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I've known Scott since college, and have never heard a bad word said about him, by anyone. If they convince you to move to Tallahassee with a baby on the way, then drop you after one season -- a strong season -- it just isn't right. It's nearly indefensible. If it's geography, how much in the grand scheme does it cost to help move him back to Tampa and move into a beat -- sorry, a position -- there? Weak, and glad Andy stood up against it.

Draft saved Draft deleted