1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Black Wednesday' in Tampa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Likes it's his fault he was based in Tallahassee? That's like the Milwaukee paper dumping its Packers writer because he lives in Green Bay.

2. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

What makes this even more ridiculous is the fact that it was the Trib that prodded him to take the FSU beat and asked him to move to Tallahassee! So if indeed that was part of the thinking process here, to avoid having to pay for him to move back to Tampa, then somebody needs to be taken out to the back parking lot for a serious discussion.

3. andrew carter

andrew carter New Member

Found out about this this afternoon and have been utterly depressed since. Not sure what to say. Scott was my first friend in Tallahassee. My only friend, at times. He's a competitor on the beat, sure, but more important a genuine person who cares about this craft, and who cares about his fellow man. We all know what that means these days in this business.

Had promised myself I wouldn't get melodramatic -- probably too late -- but I'm just stunned. I fully expected to see Scott out at practice in a bit more than a month, a cigar hanging from his lips, ready to ask the old man about his program. Heck -- we were just talking the other day about going to ACC media days. And now this.

The Tribune just lost itself a great reporter. And FSU fans just lost some great insight into their program. But I know Scott will be OK, because he's too good not to be. Once again, it's the newspaper's loss.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Who's the preps writer who got axed? Or if that's a touchy matter, what age group does this person fall into?

5. Grey

Grey Member

I am proud to say Scott Carter is one of my best friends. Also that I brought him to the Trib during my five-year tenure in the late-1990s. I have been so proud of him, working his way from the Pasco Bureau to the Lightning (when he knew zip about hockey) to the Devil Rays to the Seminoles.

He loved his job of backing the Lightning and working the (Devil) Rays. As Staples mentioned in his e-mail, Carter took the FSU job to be the good soldier, to make room for some of the "dead weight", Staples addressed. Any of us who worked there in the last decade or so know exactly who Staples is referring to, yet they still are employed.

I talked to Carter last night. I've been laid off before and he was where I expected: perplexed, angry, worried, perplexed some more and then a bit of rage.

As others stated, he'll be fine. Will it be in this business? Like all of us, he has a lot of thinking to do.

As another mentioned, he has a 1-year-old daughter and a recently purchased home with a wife who also relocated her employment, obviously, from Tampa to Tallahassee. Carter was given no chance to relocate to Tampa.

Oh, and he learned by phone. Classy.

I would not want to be in Duke's wingtips today when Carter goes in to turn in his equipment.

This is just crap.

Scott Carter was the consummate pro. Hard-working, always thinking. Knew how to glean and keep contacts. Went from vanilla to Kahlua with his writing, which he really, really cared so deeply about.

On the personal side, one cannot find a better friend. Heck, a better person. Straight-up man's man and good liver.

Bob Bellone, like Carter, approaching his 10th year with Media General, was the third sports casualty ... thus far. No management folks took hits, of course.

6. Grey

Grey Member

It was a female. Reportedly, that one was not a surprise.

Carter's was an absolute shock.

BTW, Staples' job in Gainesville won't be filled (as I'm sure most everyone has figured out by now) nor will Carter's spot in Tallahassee. Miami was dropped about a decade ago.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Here is Andy's letter:

To my old friends at The Tampa Tribune,

I hate to be writing this e-mail, but today's events have left me dumbfounded. I take back any kind word I have ever spoken about The Tampa Tribune or its management. Never again will I lift a finger to help the Tribune, unless it is to help current staffers find other employment. I also will tell any talented, job-seeking journalist I meet to steer clear of the Tribune.

Those who conspired to lay off Scott Carter obviously don't work in the sports department. Scott was the one person who would accept any assignment and fulfill it with gusto -- even when he was picking up the slack for far less motivated and far less talented reporters. You held a meeting yesterday and told staffers the layoffs would be performance-based. Scott has never received a bad evaluation, and he was told his layoff was geography-based. Why was he in Tallahassee in the first place? Oh, I remember now. To help the Tribune.

With decisions such as this one coming from the mountaintop, we need not wonder why the newspaper industry is tanking. Strictly from a business perspective, how is it in the best interests of a company to lay off one of its most creative, productive employees while still cutting checks to dead weight? Sure, the world changed, but this type of thinking did just as much to damn the industry as Craigslist or Web sites such as the one that now employs me.

To the wonderful people still left fighting the good fight on Parker Street, you're in my prayers. To the bungling idiots who laid off Scott Carter, I wash my hands of you and your newspaper.

Sincerely,
    Andy Staples
    Tampa Tribune veteran, 2002-08

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

9. Grey

Grey Member

I echo those sentiments and will let it be known to them.

Tampa Tribune veteran 1995-99

10. Grey

Grey Member

Spot-on.

Where the frick is someone supposed to land so cat-like these days?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For the most part, if you get news like this, you're done in this business...

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I've met Andy a couple times, seemed like a cool cat.
    That letter was just an absolute bitch slap. I hope similar letters are going out all around the country.

Draft saved Draft deleted