1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black quarterbacks, and why AP is pissing me off

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Wait a minute. Al Gore didn't invent the Internet?

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Actually, I thought Zimmer really had a plate in his head.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Me too. I've heard Zimmer talk about the plate in his head. Maybe my BS meter needs a tuning, but I always thought he was serious.

4. swenk

swenk Member

Myth.

From Milwaukee Journal, via random search:

"People think I've got a metal plate in my head," Zimmer said in his 2001 book, "Zim: A Baseball Life." "That's always been the story. But the fact is they filled those holes up with what they call tantalum buttons that act kind of like corks in a bottle."

Zimmer had three holes drilled on the left side of his head and one on the right side to relieve the pressure on his brain following the beaning.

5. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

He didn't invent it and never claimed to invent it. But some right-wingers took his comments on supporting early Internet research in the Senate, and turned it into boasts that made him look like an idiot.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I love that movie, but this ain't exactly Ransom Stoddard rising to the U.S. Senate because of a lie.

8. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I've been told that the complete version explains the story behind the question and goes into detail about the controversy.

9. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

No, no, no. All that does is open the door for the old "yeah, the media is blowing stuff out of proportion" dodge.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That would certainly help explain the legend behind this one.

11. boots

boots New Member

First off, the jack ass Johnson shouldn't have said "obviously you have been a black quarterback." If he had said something like, "Doug, when did race matter at being a quarterback?" or something like that, it would've made more sense.

12. Well, I wasn't there and I was pretty young at the time, so I lack perspective, but to me, it does sound like the media WAS blowing that out of proportion.
    It's like the deal with two black coaches reaching the Super Bowl this year. Maybe mention it once, but then move on. Neither guy is Rosa Parks or Jackie Robinson. Both are excellent coaches, and it has little to do with their race.

Draft saved Draft deleted