1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black quarterbacks, and why AP is pissing me off

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Jan 25, 2007.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

to paraphrase an old expression often used by steve sabol, "the truth is a wonderful thing. but a well-told story is even better."

there, goeth, the tale of the question asked of doug. i covered that game and the hoopla leading up to it. the question was never asked. but it did become a running joke that week. which is how it came to be born in print. like a bad game of telephone among the masses.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This from the Doug Williams story that just moved:

That followed a week in which he was asked question after question about his role as the first black quarterback to play in the NFL's championship game, including the now-storied query: "How long have you been a black quarterback?"

This from the AP weekend budget:

UNDATED _ When Doug Williams became the first black quarterback to start a Super Bowl 19 years ago, he was the object of what is considered No. 1 on the list of all-time wacky Super Bowl questions: ``How long have you been a black quarterback?'' Race again will be the focus next week, when Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith become the first two black coaches in the game.

I've actually talked to AP about this. It's pretty much understood now that the "How long have you been a black quarterback?" question was never asked that way. Sent them information about it. Yet they're going to continue to beat this dead (and never alive) horse.

http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/williams.asp

So I'm asking all you scribes: Please, please, please do not get into this "How long have you ... " storyline next week. Or if you do, just mention it in a note and note that it's likely bullshit.

Please?

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

How long have you been a South Fargo resident, SF Express?

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, to mimick Doug's nonexistent answer, all my life.

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

This is from a story this week in the Chicago Sun Times:

Actually, Williams was asked by Butch John, a reporter from the Jackson (Miss.) Clarion-Ledger: ''Doug, obviously you've been a black quarterback all your life. When did race begin to matter?''
    But Williams didn't fully hear John and responded, ''How long have I been a black quarterback?''

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/226308,CST-SPT-doug24.article

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

that's a great job of debunking by snopes, footnotes and all.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Actually, when you tell it that way, it's even worse.

8. This question is better than the urban legend version, but it's still not how I'd ask it. I see what he's getting at, but I'd say something like, "Is the discussion of your race leading up to this game silly?" or "Do you see yourself as breaking down barriers, or is that something the media is more concerned about?"

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, I don't know. A bit awkward, but it's clear from the real question that he's getting at something a little deeper.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

That was a strange week of pregame coverage (for the one Super Bowl I covered). Seeing him throw four TD passes to his smurfy receivers in the second quarter was something else.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I was at that one, too, but in a behind-the-scenes capacity trying to communicate among something like 10 writers in different places before cell phones, so I saw little of the action, oddly enough.

12. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

I'm afraid it will never be debunked, like the oft-repeated falsehoods that Don Zimmer has a plate in his head and Al Gore claims he invented the Internet.

Draft saved Draft deleted