1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Black People Don't Root For The Red Sox"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Pumpsie.

Broke the Red Sox color barrier in 1959.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Departed did a pretty good job of portraying it. Busing left a lot of wounds that were carried for a long time.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Used to always hear the same thing about the Celtics. Must be a Boston thing. How bout the Pats, are they black friendly?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love Fenway. One of my favorite ballparks. I've been there probably 12-15 times, most to cover games, but a handful of times as a fan.

The crowd there is vile. I was at an Orioles game in 2002 and I heard the c-word yelled more during that game than I have during my entire lifetime. It was a meaningless game and we walked down to other portions of the park and it was the same over there. I thought it was bad going to Candlestick Park as a kid. I was there again in 2004 and my cousin, who lives in Rhode Island wanted to go and I told him, I'm not sure you should bring your son, who was 8 at the time. He ignored me and brought him and the same thing happened.

I went to Giants games as a kid and saw my share of shit. I went to Raiders games and the fans weren't as angry and violent as they were at Fenway.

5. Mizzougrad96

If Fenway has gone "pink hat" as someone put it, it's been in the last seven years...

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What if Larry Bird were black?

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Not too many black guys on the Bruins either. :)

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Actually, Cain goes to Fenway, but John Henry and Theo Epstein just let him in because there is a word they hope he'll say.

Joking aside, this book might be interesting. It reminds me of something I read a year or two ago about a significant number of Mexican-Americans in LA who don't root for the Dodgers.

9. Boom_70

As ESPN put it - America's Most Dominant Sports City"

"Welcome to Boston Loozah"

Surprised that ESPN did not cover race in the issue they just did on Boston

10. Mizzougrad96

People in Boston are racist? :D

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Anyone remember the SNL video from way back "Find the Black People at the Knicks Game" the camera scanned the Garden crowd and found maybe five, including Spike Lee, and then started beeping like crazy when it scanned the court?

12. Boom_70

[​IMG]

This weeks The Mag cover page. Looks like a black power salute.

Draft saved Draft deleted