1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Black People Don't Root For The Red Sox"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Interesting column by Mark Kriegel discussing "the post black era" which is the basis of a book by Toure titled “Who’s Afraid of Post-Blackness?”

You also might know Toure from his "If Michael Vick Were White" story in The Mag.

Interesting start to Kriegel column:

"Among the native Bostonians who’ve taken great delight in watching the Red Sox's collapse is a writer — a “post-black writer,” as he might classify himself — named Toure. Toure’s father was an accountant who arrived in Beantown by way of Brooklyn, where he had spent his own formative years rooting for Jackie Robinson’s Dodgers."

“The first thing my dad taught me about sports was, ‘Black people don’t root for the Red Sox,’ ” he says.
  2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And they don't root for Duke ... blah, blah.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Well, they've been brainwashed.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

Or one could choose to actually read the column.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sticking with brainwashed.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

Herman Cain won't root for the Red Sox!
  7. I think the Red Sox have gone after the American-Indian market with Ellsbury and the Jewish market with Youkilis. But do people ever talk about the positive? No - it's always the market they are not going after that is written about.
  8. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

It's because Jeter isn't on the Red Sox.
  9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Good luck finding a black face in the crowd at Fenway.
  10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

With such Red Sox great's as Pumpsie Green and Oil Can Boyd I am surprised that more black people don't root for The Sox.

If theoryis true it's a great irony that the favored Sox fan board is named after a black player- Sons of Sam Horn.
  11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If they're scared of the crowd at Fenway I wouldn't blame them.

They make Philly fans seen polite and well-mannered.
  12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

One of the Grantland pieces mentioned it yesterday, but in the pre-corporate, pre-pink hat Fenway, you used to see plenty of the old school Boston racism.
Draft saved Draft deleted