1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Monday - Is this the worst day for print journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Mar 23, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Exactly. No one is denying your ability to post on this thread. Sorry there's not a filter that displays only the posts you agree with.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I dunno... saying that you don't see a need for this thread on this thread is kind of a passive/aggressive way to do it.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Ryan, you seem like a good guy, but you're off base on this one.

My only minor quibble MIGHT be with the thread title, but I'm not even sure about that.

Those mentioning the L.A. Times left out the possibility that there's more going on today at the Sun-Sentinel, too. And maybe beyond that in Tribune papers. And maybe more at the O.C. Register.

This is looking like a very bad day for print journalism, and if you don't want that fact acknowledged, fine. But I've got good friends and former colleagues at several of the publications mentioned, and I want to know what's going on with them.

I'm with the "you don't like the thread, don't click on it" crowd. Most of the people here are adult, professional news people. Acting like something isn't happening when it is -- on this board in particular -- helps absolutely nobody.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I dunno the answer to the thread question. But I am learning the answer to "Is this the worst threadjack in sj history?"

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

[​IMG]

(You know, this is the best passive/aggressive tactic of all. I shall use it often.)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. JackReacher

I disagree completely as I've said in my previous posts.

Who exactly is acting like something isn't happening? And I also have friends that could be affected by this terrible business. But I certainly won't find any info on their situation on a thread titled "Is this the worst day for print journalism?"

Listen, I'm not telling people not to comment on this thread. I'm not even suggesting it. And I'm certainly not denying anyone the ability to post on this thread.

All I'm saying is that it seems like this thread does nothing but pile on a shit-ton of bad news today. And do we need that? Aren't the countless threads that document this disaster in depth enough?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A cat jack? I shall away now...

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, to answer a straight question with a straight and practical answer, no, I actually would appreciate it if we kind of keep things compiled in one place on a day like today.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

10. JackReacher

So how, exactly, am I off base?

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'll try to keep the list updated then.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

My point: Unfortunately, today, yes, I think many people do.

Draft saved Draft deleted