1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Monday - Is this the worst day for print journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Mar 23, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Everyone deals with situations in different ways, Shottie; some prefer to keep it to themselves, others need to talk it out. It's not the same for everyone and suggesting others keep it to themselves might not be the best move for them.

OK, Sonner. Since you asked nicely, yeah. Some people do need the thread. It might help them work through it.
    You don't need to be the word police; as with everyone else here, myself included, you don't like the premise, don't click on the thread. Don't inflict your disdain on someone who might find this thread useful.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

OK, I'll bite....

Yes. This is BY FAR the worst day in journo history. The blood is on the floor. Hell, it's all over the walls, too. People at several major newspapers had their pay cut, were told to take unpaid vacation and were laid off.

It's going to get worse. Even YOU might lose your job in the coming days. You'll file for unemployment, which may cause you to lose your car, house, dog, maybe even your spouse. You or someone you know that was hit by the worst day in journo history might end up flipping burgers at McDonalds, making $8/hour, living in a terrible apartment in an even worse neighborhood.

Feel better?

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

(That's really what y'all wanted, right?)

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's pretty close to the truth. I like reading threads like this because it keeps me resolved. I knew years ago that I needed to switch majors, but I punked out because I decided I just loved newspapers too much. I still love them, but I can't afford to punk out again.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

(well, no. But if it makes him feel happy by peeing over a thread he doesn't agree with, then sure. Fine. Go for it. When he's done, then the people who want to discuss it can go about their business.)

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

They won't, and they will.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Do I agree with it? No. Does that mean I won't post on it because you say so? No.

Say what you want. And really, I hope you feel better.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

OK. I give up.

Have at it, fatalists: Is this the worst day in history for journalists? Discuss.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Making $8 an hour living in a terrible apt sounds like my first journalism gig. It may be about to come full circle.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No. It's pretty far up there, but there have been worse, and there are much worse to come.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Shottie, I think better of you than being condescending toward others finding a need to discuss something that raked emotions raw. You might not agree that it is or isn't the worst day, but am surprised that you'd deny them the need to discuss it in an open forum.
    Everyone works through pain and grief in different ways.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

slap, if I'm denying, I don't see it being too effective. So I can't really be denying. Can I.

Draft saved Draft deleted