1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Monday in stock exchanges in Europe and Asia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 21, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

OK, maybe I need to read it again. ::)

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Use the reading glasses this time. ::)

3. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Down 138 as of 2:51 p.m.

With the volatility in the market, this could be the best post-padding opportunity since the Brad Renfro thread.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I fuckin' loved Renfro in The Client.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Ok, is this actually going to impact the housing market?

6. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Maybe not. But this sure as hell will. Been saying this runup was something that could only be redeemed with fire.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=4172112&page=1

7. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

And the timber market...and the furniture market...and so on? They're all related.

I'm most worried about the energy situation. I guess a few oil-rich guys took a look at their portfolios and decided they were getting caught in the ying yang, so oil prices are dropping. But, for the long term, especially since we won't use atomic energy as a substitute the way Japan and France (for example) do, we'd better figure out how to use bagasse and weeds for energy production or we're going to be in for some interesting prices at the pump for the foreseeable future.

High time to stop using food and start using those waste materials for ethanol.

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

On the day, Dow down 128, around 1%; NasDaq down 48, around 2%.

Now let's see what happens on those overseas exchanges (tonight and early tomorrow), where the drops were much more dramatic over the last couple of days. If crude prices continue to drop, that will help alleviate panic selling.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Something I've always wondered on days like this:

Who's selling?

Anyone on this board sell today?

And why should there be panic selling? If you have money you need immediately, it shouldn't be in the market. If you do not need the money immediately, why are you selling in a panic?

10. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I'm not the one to answer your question in detail, but I'll tell you this; that early downward swoop was largely triggered by programs, which reacted to what happened overseas.

Very little of that selling, and the buying, was done by individuals, I'll wager.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Down 138 is just another day at the office.

Heath Ledger is gonna steal all the headlines.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We could find a way to eat cabbage and fart in the gas tank to make 60 mpg and some environmentalist group would be against it because we'd be endangering cabbage.

Draft saved Draft deleted