1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black History Month edition of "Wait, that was racist?"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

There are some good words on this list. Jock? That's only an insult when uttered by a nerd.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Jack Donaghy: Steven's good, man, he's on partner track at Dewey and he's a Black.
    Liz Lemon: A black!? That's offensive.
    Jack: No, no. That's his name. Steven Black... good family. Remarkable people, the Blacks, musical, very athletic, not very good swimmers. Again I'm talking about the family. Black is African-American, though.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I may be the most naive person in the world here, but I'm not really seeing racist here. Then again, people are going to see what they want to see. Either way, eight New Jersey wrestlers were suspended for the state tournament for posing with a lynched practice dummy that is dark in color.

I guess this is where we're at these days. You just have to be aware of everything you do, especially if you're going to put it on social media. Not everyone is going to think you have the best intentions.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hs-wrestlers-suspended-after-hanging-photo-were-sorry-n34631

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This whole "shortest month of the year" complaint about Black History Month is a pure canard. Having Black History Month is February is not an atrocity. You could argue that it should be in February because and October are the only months when every school district in the country has the same schedule: no holidays or vacations.

The argument for February is also that, by quick of a 28-day month, it's the only month that has exactly 20 school days in every non-leap year. So for consistency's sake, planning the celebrations is easy because in three of every four years, you know the number of opportunities is identical.
    Let's take this by month:
    January: Depending on when the year begins, I imagine different districts might adopt different calendars. (If Jan. 2 is on a Friday, for example, some might opt to punt until the following Monday. Others might go ahead with Jan. 2.)
    February: As addressed
    March: Some places have spring break. Others don't.
    April: See March.
    May: Some places get out of school for the summer. Others don't.
    June: See May.
    July: Freedom reigns supreme.
    August: Biggest variable on the calendar. Some start early. Others start late. Some don't start until after Labor Day.
    September: See August (sort of.)
    October: No variances here that I can think of. If not February, then do it here.
    November: Thanksgiving and a 30-day month limit the # of school days to 18 at max.
    December: See November and sub in Christmas.

If we presume 180 days and nine months of school, that works out to -- magically -- 20 days per month on average. Same as February. It's not so evil. I'm done now.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Except many districts take one or two days for Washington and Lincoln birthdays each February. Our local district takes the entire Presidents Week.

It appears October is the only school month without holidays, unless some still take off on Columbus Day.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I always though the "shortest month" thing was just a joke, based on the Chris Rock Nat X SNL skit.

But yeah, my kids (SF Bay Area) have been out of school all week. I see NYC schools are out for the week too. I don't think it's all that rare to have some time off, especially with the districts that have gone to a bit more of a year-round model.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

OK then. I am wrong about February being devoid of holidays. Very wrong, apparently.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ole Miss chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity suspended by national chapter, three freshmen expelled after noose found around the neck of the James Meredith statue on campus:

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20140221/NEWS/140221003/3-Ole-Miss-freshmen-suspects-Meredith-statue-desecration

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Racism is alive and well in Amerikkka. It's not something you inherit. It's something that you're taught, be it from your mammy, pappy or friends.
    In the immortal words of the late great Rodney King: "We're all going to be here for a little while. Can't we just get along?"

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Rodney King wasn't "great" at anything, unless you count pushing a Hyundai past its mechanical limits to (temporarily) evade police.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

His comment was great Steak.

Draft saved Draft deleted