1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black History Month edition of "Wait, that was racist?"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 6, 2014.

1. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

It's called "every other month besides black history month." You really can't be this dense, can you? When a certain group feels there is a need to earmark a specific period of time to celebrate/study/honor the contributions/heritage/history of their group, it is because they feel that those contributions/heritage/history are drowned out by the contributions/heritage/history of the dominant group. And when even the dominant group agrees, a month like "Black History Month" is born.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

For all the innocuous threads that run off the rails to lockdown, I must say it's quite refreshing to see how this thread has played out, when from the get go, it had the potential to go south, so to speak.

it bolsters my faith in mankind. Well, mankind as represented by the members of this community.

And it makes me hungry.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

The stylebook of racism:
    http://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/thesaurus-category/british/Offensive-words-for-people-according-to-nationality-or-ethnicity

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"Black" is not offensive. It's AP style.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Black as a noun can be offensive, which is what it's referencing. To wit: That black just stole my watermelon and fried chicken and white girlfriend! Replace "black" with "African-American" or "person of color" and you're in good shape.

6. Steak Snabler

They can be black and not be American.

If you say Chiwetel Ejiofor is the first African-American to win an Oscar for Best Actor since Forrest Whitaker, that's not accurate.

Ejiofor is British.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

EVERYTHING IS HOMOPHOBIC, RACIST AND SEXIST LET'S ALL BITCH AND MOAN ABOUT EVERY GOD DAMN THING AND MAKE EVERYONE AROUND US MISERABLE LIKE US.....

8. Mystery Meat II

Then you would use black as a modifier. Black person. Black man. Black woman.

But black as a noun -- you black! -- comes off weird on the ear at best.

Didn't people get angry at someone here for calling a black person a black? This sounds somehow familiar.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I know in Chicago that when white people start talking about "the blacks," it won't end well.

10. Steak Snabler

Yeah, I was talking about it as an adjective, not a noun.

11. Mystery Meat II

The link only included the noun form of black, not the adjective.

black noun
    a black person. This word is sometimes considered offensive, so you should be very careful about using it.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not only stupid, but also a completely unoriginal cliche and posted by the most likely source.

Draft saved Draft deleted