1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black History Month edition of "Wait, that was racist?"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But I do like the sweet tea brined version too.

http://www.southernliving.com/food/whats-for-supper/favorite-fried-chicken-00400000039723/page21.html

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I do think the watermelon thing tore it for them. If they had consulted with a traditional soul food restaurateur beforehand or hell, just done a Google search, they'd have been covered.

Red beans and rice apparently DID miss her.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks! Got buttermilk in the fridge so it's gonna be a go in the next week or so.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Better check the date on that buttermilk. My experience is that if opened it does not hold
    up more than a week. Be a shame to have everything ready to go and find that the
    buttermilk has soured.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) has a similar version that's foolproof ... you fry the chicken to get the crispiness, then you finish it in the oven so you get nice, consistent cooking. Nothing worse than biting into a big juicy thigh and realizing it's not quite done.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Popeye's red beans and rice...a little bit of heaven in every bite.

Reading this thread made me happy because I now know I am not the only one that has to have cornbread with chili. Can't go without.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Exactly. But slavery was also a Southern thing, so those iconic Southern foods were linked to that. And I would guess that the slaves could wolf down some serious watermelon after working in the hot fields all day. Nothing better than watermelon to quench your thirst in the summertime. But as someone linked above, the racists appropriated it for their purposes and the stereotypes were born. Can't think of a much better meal than fried chicken, mashed potatoes and cornbread with some sweet tea.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

This isn't an issue of "black people bbq vs. white people bbq." It's a divide between people who think barbecue is a verb and people who know it's a noun.

People who think it's a verb are likely to serve burgers and dogs. Those of us who know it is correctly a noun, regardless of skin tone, will have pieces of meat cooking low and slow.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, we call a white people BBQ a cookout.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That sounds like genocide.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

No comment from the drip gallery.

Draft saved Draft deleted