1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black History Month edition of "Wait, that was racist?"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 6, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ultra-exclusive Catholic girls school Carondelet High -- tuition $15,000 at the sister school to legendary football powerhouse De La Salle, in the wealthy suburbs a half-hour north of Oakland -- announces a unique way to commemorate Black History Month.

Fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon for everybody at lunch!

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Controversy-Surrounds-Lunch-Menu-at-Concord-High-School-243851091.html

Canceled after parents got wind of it, of course. And at no time does the school wish to perpetuate racial stereotypes, the principal even says so.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Fuzzy Zoeller approves.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The whole idea of "Black History Month" is itself racist. If someone suggested a "White History Month", they'd be shouted down.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

So not one person affiliated with the school had the slightest notion this is a bad idea? Makes me want to spend $15,000 to send my kid there.

I guess maybe it's a victory that they weren't going to cut out milk and instead serve grape soda or Colt 45 that day?

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Now, as much as this white boy loves fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon, how could anyone is a position of authority think this was a good idea?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't like watermelon. But KFC and cornbread is the bomb.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Rightfully so

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

There is National Bubba Day in early June. Everyone is welcome to celebrate.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When whites have a history of being enslaved and treated like second-class citizens in the south, then those shouters might have a point.

10. Sweet cornbread?

Yes.

And that's racist.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Meh. They got the shortest month of the year. Let 'em have it.
    Now, if they try to take one of the months with 31 days, we're gonna have to rethink this thing.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as sweet cornbread. Products marketed as such are nothing more than inappropriately packaged cake.

Draft saved Draft deleted