1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Friday stories

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 28, 2008.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

that's funny

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Outing alert: Inky is a Bush Administration DOJ lawyer!

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Drove by Wal-Mart on my way to work around 4:45 a.m., and the ENTIRE lot of was full. Traffic was backed up a few traffic lights back and some people just parked at gas stations and other stores and walked over to get the best spot they could.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I went to Best Buy at 6 p.m. Not too busy.
    Purchased Sex in the City Seasons 1-6 (for the future wife), Entourage Season 3 Pt I and II; 24 Season 6; Walk Hard; Baby Mama; Cloverfield Blu-Ray; Semi-Pro; Talladegha Nights; 21; and the Office Season 3.
    Total - $212.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Don't let facts get in the way of hysteria.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27955316

6. lono

lono Active Member

Seems the hysteria was at the store. Per your provided link:

NEW YORK - A Wal-Mart worker was killed Friday after an "out of control" throng of shoppers eager for post-Thanksgiving bargains broke down the doors at a suburban store and knocked him to the ground, police said.

At least four other people, including a woman eight months pregnant, were taken to hospitals for observation or minor injuries, and the store in Valley Stream on Long Island closed for several hours before reopening.

Nassau police said about 2,000 people were gathered outside the store doors at the mall about 20 miles east of Manhattan. The impatient crowd knocked the man to the ground as he opened the doors, leaving a metal portion of the frame crumpled like an accordion.

"This crowd was out of control," said Nassau police spokesman Lt. Michael Fleming. He described the scene as "utter chaos."

7. imjustagirl

Lono, was merely commenting on the talk of a woman miscarrying.

She didn't.

8. lono

lono Active Member

But you've already made three snide posts on this thread that gave the impression that this kind of thing is OK, when in fact it's about as not OK as not OK gets.

9. imjustagirl

au contraire.

I've been snide about calls for shutting down this process because of one TERRIBLE tragedy. I've been snide about people calling for anyone who dared to use a charge card in said store for two hours to be charged with a man's death. And I've been snide about falsehoods being reported as fact.

I have not, in any way, been snide about this tragedy. A 34-year-old man died for going to work. And that sucks, no matter which way you slice it. I don't forgive or excuse any of the animals who broke down the doors and/or stomped that man to death.

But the fact is, those people broke laws before they ever even got to that man. This was not a usual occurrence, and the gut reactions from the same people who get mad over gut reactions to terrorism or violence or anything else, rang hollow to me.

That's all.

10. lono

lono Active Member

This wasn't snide?

11. imjustagirl

Did you skim over this part?

(and yes, that was snide. So have you been.)

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dear IJAG,

Sorry about my post earlier. It certainly isn't a fair way to handle the situation. I was thinking and posting off the cuff.

Smooches,

Inky

Draft saved Draft deleted