1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Friday stories

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 28, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Ten hours' sleep for this camper. I feel invigorated.

2. accguy

accguy Member

I went online last night and got three of the four Entourage collections I wanted and two movies for my brother-in-law. Got the same price as Best Buy. Didn't leave my house. Couldn't have worked out better.

I want a second flat screen for my bedroom, but I'm looking for something like a 32 inch and it didn't seem as if there were any great deals on ones that size. I'll just keep watching over the next month or just go to Costco and get a Vizio.

3. accguy

accguy Member

Oh, also got NCAA Football 09 on Amazon for xbox360 for the same $30 price that Walmart was offering.

Not having to set foot in that place made my day.

4. KG

KG Active Member

The only problem with charging someone is being able to prove true guilt. I think it depends on whether or not they had an opportunity to avoid stepping on him. If I had a mob of hundreds of people behind me pushing me forward, there's no way I could stop the forward momentum of the whole crowd (assuming I'm not the first person, who could at least try to dart off to the side).

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You don't charge the people in this case exactly because of that, KG. Instead, you charge the store responsible for creating the mess. Wal-Mart will be sued for both instances, though it won't hurt the company much. People will still go there in flocks, and the money will be thrown down just like before.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Meijer had it on sale for $29.99 two days ago. Madden too.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, it's not the perfect way to do it.

But, you know, we're talking about people who stepped on a human being to save a few dollars. If a few innocent people are caught in it, tough shit.

8. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Slept in and ordered something from Dick's Sporting Goods online. My girlfriend goes shopping on Black Friday every year. I will never.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

CNN is saying a man shot 2 people inside a Toys R Us in California sometime in the last hour.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've never understood the Black Friday deal - the "doorbusters" the 3 a.m. - 4 a.m. -5 a.m. openings. I really hope the guy dying in New York will lead some retailers to re-think their marketing strategies. It's a disgrace. Why not have special sales throughout the day?
    The way they put out 100 loss-leaders, cheap-ass LCD TVs or other gizmos to get people in their stores should be some kind of indication of wreckless disregard. When I heard about the worker dying the first thing I thought of was a Law and Order episode where Jack McCoy charges everyone involved.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Christmas in jail: It's the gift that keeps on giving.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I've done Black Friday in the past and have gotten some great deals.

I didn't hit the early stuff this year because nothing I was really looking for was on doorbuster sale. I just hopped over to Kohl's for some post-doorbuster stuff, but the line to check out was literally wrapped around the inside of the store. I would have been in line at least an hour. Gotta go to work.

Draft saved Draft deleted