1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Friday stories

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I'm baffled as to why Canadians want to honor that brutal sport.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I went to Wal-Mart at 8 a.m. this morning just to get milk and see how crazy it might be. Not crowded at all and there were plenty of 32'' plasma TVs for $388, which was one of their big bargain deals.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Visiting the parental units in Ohio, watched on the Columbus station last night that hundreds of people were at a local outlet mall last nite, IN THEIR PAJAMAS (temp: 28 degrees). After mustering in the parking lot, mall officials allowed them to stand in line in front of the store of their choice an hour BEFORE it opened. Of course, once they opened things up from the parking lot, you had hundreds of people running to get in line. (Oh, yeah... they were in pajamas for some sort of contest.)

Stupid, stupid shit.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I just woke up after a restful night's sleep.

That's my Black Friday story.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Look at it this way, that's one less worker that has to get benefits. He's collateral damage in the war against Target for profits.

CNNMoney has an article from 30 minutes ago, that has a quote from a Wal-Mart spokesperson on how "busy" it's been. The death is treated as a throwaway mention at the end of the story.

No one else has mentioned a pregnant lady miscarrying. Hopefully, the miscarriage report was erroneous.

Hopefully.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/28/news/economy/blackfriday_walmart/?postversion=2008112811

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Same here. And I agree with Hondo, Bubbler and spnited. Time to end this crap.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Too bad the Who can never hold another concert.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Wal-Mart? Benefits?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

YOUR exploding medical insurance remains in a losing race to cover uninsured Wal-Mart employees scurrying to
    their nearest Emergency Rooms for succor.

And it ain't funny -- it's tragic.

And the devil take the hindmost . . .

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Same here. I'm off to get coffee for my long day ahead of moving/packing.

And folks, this isn't the first time someone has been trampled/died on Black Friday. It hasn't stopped before, it won't stop now. So get off your high horses and just continue not going if you hate it so much.

As for me, if there are deals worth it next year, I'll be back in the mix.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Who cares? In 10 years, it'll be MMA day anyway.

11. Cubman71

Cubman71 Guest

I don't get the euphoria over "Black Friday". You'll never catch me participating in that madness.

Mine usually consists of decorating my tree with my wife and daughters, and then covering a high school FB playoff game. Which today is at 3 pm instead of the usual 7:30, which works fine for me too.

It will take horror stories like what happened in NY to do away with the early opening crap everywhere, sadly.

12. lono

lono Active Member

That's because Roger Daltry can't text while driving.

Draft saved Draft deleted