1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Friday stories

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 28, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'd just like to say that I'm not a Black Fridayist. Large crowds scare me.

I do, however, despise fuggs. And I'm OK with being mistaken for Cadet. She's way smarter than me!

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yay! No Fuggs!

I got these:

[​IMG]

They were marked down to $80, and it's second pair halfprice, so I got these (brown) for $20:

[​IMG]

and I had a coupon for 20 percent off my whole total, so it was like $83. Yay!

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Those boots look like required wear for the Iditarod. :D

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

They're not that heavy. But my extremities get REALLY frigidly cold. So I figured the warmer the better.

Plus, I haven't even seen snow in about 5 years.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I'm the same way. I won't always put on a jacket when it's chilly, but I usually have gloves handy, at least in part because I don't get cold much but the steering wheel and shifter can be a bit chilled even as the heat is running in the vehicle.

Besides, I have a spare pair or two of biking gloves. And buying them in black, they don't look too out of place in this setting.

I bought some overboots in case the snow ever gets ridiculous - a rarity.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Excellent shopping job, IJAG! Love the boots.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Cute picks, JAGger! Love the boots ... and the Louis heel on the shoes.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Talked to a couple friends about the Valley Stream tragedy in the last couple of days and came to the conclusion that it is going to be almost impossible for Nassau County Police Department to charge everyone who was involved.

Hundreds of people were on line Friday morning. Even if the cops cross reference the Wal-Mart video with credit card receipts and police records, some of those who were involved are going to slip through the cracks.

And what is the DA going to do? Charge hundreds of people with Murder 1? Murder 2? Manslaughter? Depraved indifference?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Stay away from Boots!

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Manslaughter seems about right. I don't think the intent was to kill the guy but these people were certainly responsible.

Of course, I'm sure you could also charge Walmart for inciting a riot.

I'll be interested to see how this plays out and it's a fucking travesty that this had to happen.

How hard is it to have police up front and allow 20 people in at a time?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

David Carr of the NYT had a piece in the last couple days laying part of the blame for the Long Island death at the media for revving up shoppers and helping turn the day into a national cultural event. He compared the tsk, tsking in some papers following the death to stories they published earlier in the week giving shoppers strategies and other tips.
    I remember reading stories of people being trampled in foreign countries for some insane reason and thinking there really must be something wrong with those countries. I can only imagine what other countries are now thinking about the US, a country facing a serious economic problem, having people camp out for a day or two to save $200 on a TV or laptop and breaking down the doors at 5 a.m or 6 a.m. to stampede to get their mitts on a piece of electronics made in a foreign land.
    I'll never hear the term "doorbuster sale" or Black Friday the same way again.

Draft saved Draft deleted