1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Friday stories

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Did you go? Were there fights?

On a lark, we drove around last night. At 1:30 a.m., there were people camped out waiting for the doors to Best Buy and Target to open.

This morning, I hear that Wal-Mart was packed at 1 a.m. as people were taking the BF bargains directly off the pallets even before the stockers could set up displays. They then milled around, as the scanners wouldn't register the deals until 5 a.m.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Y'know, sometimes the third world doesn't sound so bad....

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No shit... .

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Paging Bubbler..........

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

This is horrifying:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/11/28/2008-11-28_worker_dies_at_long_island_walmart_after.html

Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

A worker died after being trampled and a woman miscarried when hundreds of shoppers smashed through the doors of a Long Island Wal-Mart Friday morning, witnesses said.

The unidentified worker, employed as an overnight stock clerk, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m.

Witnesses said the surging throngs of shoppers knocked the man down. He fell and was stepped on. As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oooooooookay. Time to shut this stupid-ass shit down.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Absolutely, Bubbs. Time to end these 4 and 5 a.m. shitshows and stop the morons from camping out all night ready to pounce.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Have never done it, will never do it.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

I don't think our Boxing Day rushes get that anywhere near that bad.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I know it would be difficult, but I hope the state attorney looks a the in-store video and tries to identify every person who either knocked down the guy who died and the pregnant woman, or anyone who stepped on them.

I hope the families of those two people enjoy their pieces of the Wal-Mart fortune they most assuredly will get in their settlements in a few months.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Maybe the family of the guy who got killed will sue Wal-Mart for inciting a riot. Their sale, their riot.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

WFW, Hondo!

This sick shit has to stop.

Draft saved Draft deleted