1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Friday starts on Thursday

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 9, 2007.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm only buying one thing that's worth getting up any earlier for on Black Friday, and that's a video game for Dr. J. I looked on all the circulars and it's not on sale anyways.

Besides, I'll be working all day at my retail gig on Black Friday. Then I'll go to work at the local rag.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Hmm, as tempting as that sounds, not sure I could swing that.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I got up early a couple years ago to get my niece a little recliner, and it took me a little more than an hour to get into the doors and another half-hour to order the chair. My brother-in-law had to pick it up when it was ready two days later. And when they took the chair out of the box, it was blue, not green. Talk about a waste of a morning.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Great. I just wasted an hour and a half looking at all the shit I would buy if I were not a sportswriter. :)

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Wahoo! National Shopping Holiday!

I'd absolutely stand in the freezing cold with any of the women of SportsJournalists.com to celebrate.

I've scored big at Black Friday in the past. It's worth it to be there when the doors open. Then you just go home and back to sleep.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think I speak for all the men of SportsJournalists.com that there's nothing else we'd rather NOT do.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd stand with the women of SportsJournalists.com in the freezing cold ... they might need someone to warm 'em up. ;)

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Black Friday is evil. I did it once and will never do it again. I will happily fork over the extra money to never deal with that again.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You have a standing invite, Pern. It's cold here . . .

10. If you're going to Best Buy, there's really nothing crazy about it except waiting forever to check out unless you're toward the front of the line.

It's a tradition with me and my friends. We get out there early evening the night before (I know, I know) and just set up shop and wait. We have card tables with poker and dominoes, movies to watch on computers, food, etc. It's really not that bad.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Same here. Got up, froze my ass off, waited for the store to open, discovered everything I wanted sold out to the first ten people in line, went home and went to bed, vowed never to go through that again.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i thank god about once a week that i married an awesome woman who has many awesome and rare qualities not found in most women. among her awesome and rare-among-women qualities is an intense dislike for shopping.

Draft saved Draft deleted