1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Friday shopping stories are not news

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Nov 24, 2011.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Like many inexplicable things that people do, I really think that some people simply really get into it.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What's so special about that? She's just using a food product to get what she wants.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I would like to know the same thing about the Super Bowl.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why do people like fantasy football, or sports in general? Getting excited for Black Friday is no more or less important that getting excited for a game.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

She wasn't caught, either.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Actually, why is it the media's job to tell people when stores open? That's what ads are for. Unless the retailers are giving the paper a cut in return for the free publicity, the hell with em.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Sorry, DS, this is different.

One of our guys just noted that he had planned to drive into NYC for the NIT Preseason final today but was glad he took the train because the city was insane.

Malls and stores being open at really odd hours, and the ensuing crush of unusual traffic in your town and neighborhood, are things that people want to know. Not about advertising; it's about being informed as to what's going on and how it might affect your normal routines on a weekday.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't mind reading or editing them, but I never want to write one ever again.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Funny that the people who are so insistent on advertising driving the news operation (pandering publishers) are the same guys leaning on us to give exposure away for free.

Let 'em buy ads.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ask sgrenwell. Wasn't somebody joking about tweeting live from Black Friday? I can imagine that there are a few Patch editors who did that this morning (pour souls).

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Normal routine at midnight on a Thursday? Or on the Friday after Thanksgiving?

And those stories STILL won't do any of those things. They'll just be a fun bag of quotes.

Draft saved Draft deleted