1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Friday is now open for business

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

If you live in the eastern time zone, your local Kohl's store is now open.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

My wife is there right now. I dropped her off at her friend's house about an hour ago.

They're batshit crazy, but they do this every year and get some pretty good deals...including, last year, the computer on which I'm typing.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Pshaw. A nearby shopping center opened for business at 2300 Thursday night. With the reputation and variety of stores, surely some photog already has a photo of a couple of people going at it for the last $35 DVD player.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I just bought a 42-inch LCD TV for 13 cents! OMG!

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I still say you can get just as good of deals buying Dec. 20th as you can on Black Friday. There's a few less people but at least you don't have to go anywhere at 4 a.m.

Last year was my first venture out on BF (my aunts' influence...not mine) and they didn't tell me until I was in the car that we were going toy shopping at Wal-Mart for my aunt's grandchildren. I almost jumped out of the car right there. It was like a war zone at Wal-Mart...soccer moms grabbing every Transformer that they could....I needed a suit of armor or riot gear or something.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dell's got a Sony bluray player for 179 and a 42" Sharp TV for 779

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It's Walmart now. Just sayin'.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No longer Wal*Mart, but instead Walmart*. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Having worked in retail, you're absolutely correct.

My wife talked to me about buying one of those bargain 42" TV. I've now convinced her to wait until spring, when I'd wager that you could get them just as cheaply, if not more so.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/11/28/2008-11-28_worker_dies_at_long_island_walmart_after.html

Unreal.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Should have held out a couple weeks. They'll cut the price before Christmas, you watch.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That can't really be true. I don't see any cops quoted in that story.

Hell, Walmart didn't even have any deals that were worth trampling someone over, that I saw.

Draft saved Draft deleted