1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Friday is coming, hooray, hooray!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Nov 21, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I would never waste Black Friday on a DVD or anything costing less than $200. Except last year when I got my mom a 1GB memory card for her new digital camera for $14 after rebates.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If you shop on Friday, what do you do on Christmas Eve?
    That's what Christmas Eve is for, Christmas shopping.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Buck? Are you my dad?

Whenever I go home for Christmas, he gives me a couple hundred dollars at lunch and tells me to go get my mom stuff from him. If he shops in advance (occasionally) then he just has me go get her stocking stuffers. Her mom used to send them, but he'd buy stuff to supplement. Now, my grandmother's passed, so it will be all on my dad. And by extension, me.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My sister-in-law says she likes to go to the mall on Christmas Eve just to look at all the desperate, frustrated people.

She's not a very nice person.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That would be a funny story, too: the "desperate, frustrated people."

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I like Chick-Fil-A sandwiches more than the chicken sandwiches you get from burger joints, but it's still just fast food. But I think they work from scratch on some of these. I remember reading something to that effect.

What I really enjoy about the place is their menu of healthy options. I can get a little wrap with grilled chicken and a great bowl of fresh fruit. They have lots of these options, whereas most fast-food places just sling something out there and claim that it's nutritious. In fact, if you check the calories and fat in some of the salads they offer these days, you'll find that you might as well be ordering the Big Mac.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

My wife goes shopping with her aunt and, now, her best friend (my wife's best friend, not my aunt's) every Black Friday. It's a ritual they look forward to all year long. She's been scouring the site IJAG linked (in fact, in a worlds colliding moment, IJAG asked me where my wife was finding all these good deals and I told her the site) for days and will go thru all the actual paper ads tomorrow.

I appreciate all she does come Christmas Day, but I would never, not in a million years, go to Black Friday. I'd kill someone.

The funny thing is they're getting up to go out when I'm still wide awake and surfing SportsJournalists.com working.

FWIW, we were told the other night at Best Buy that in an attempt to control the loons, there will only be one line into the store, a handful of people will be allowed in at once and employees will take your wish list and shop for you. Apparently, there's no more mad dash for the goods at 5 am. We'll see how long that lasts. I'm betting anarchy rules again by 5:02 am.

8. Buck as IJAG's Dad.
    My brain hurts.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I will be sleeping ... or at least watching something on DVD while the shoppers at Wal-Mart turn Bubbler fiction into reality (look for centerpiece photo and stories of the violence that may ensue). The tax-free status in my area will tempt me since I've got my Christmas stuff done and I'm not completely broke.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I WANT TAX-FREE SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY!

If I leave tonight immediately after work, I STILL couldn't make it to your neck of the woods. :(

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yes, you could. By roughly sunrise. I'll save a spot on the couch for you when you crash later in the morning. I think I can find something in the kitchen to house the scorched credit card, too. ;)

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But stores open at 5. Sunrise won't help me a damn bit.

Plus, I have a hair appt. here in town at 9:45. And some pants on hold at a store across town.

Draft saved Draft deleted