1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Friday 2010

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Don't tell the IRA.

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

That's my plans today, too.

Last night, we were going a little stir-crazy, so we got the family out for a while. About 7 p.m., people were in line at Toys R Us and at Target. Low temps last night were in the 30s.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Friend on Facebook:

Posted this earlier as a comment: I think Black Friday is the most unChristian way that we "celebrate" Christmas, and that the orgy of Gluttony and Greed that's exhibited on Black Friday sickens me.
    Yesterday at 1:32am · LikeUnlike · Comment

26 people like this.
    * I posted this as a response to a "Are you ready to start shopping on BLack Friday! Wooot!" posting. The person who posted that deleted my comment and defended me.

Gee. Maybe I struck a nerve?

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

You mean defriended?

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I did get in my car this morning. To give a neighbor a jumpstart at 9 a.m. My wife got a few things when she went out at 10. We'll probably get some stuff this afternoon, or at least look.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do our Canukistani neighbors have an equivalent of Black Friday?

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I went to our local Wallyworld at about 12:20 a.m. The lines at the checkouts were already ridiculous. The cheap TV DVDs were already down to just Friday Night Lights, Family Guy and Futurama and I already have all the seasons of the latter two series. Saw two guys camping out by the Guitar Hero* games that were to go on sale at 5 a.m.

I decided that the things I had seen in the circular that I was interested in were things that I didn't need, so I decided to just skip it.

Went back to Wallyworld at about 6 p.m. All those Family Guys and Futuramas were still there. And so was one of the items I'd been looking at in the circular. Apparently, our store way overestimated how many it needed**. There were still plenty of the bigger TVs. And those guys didn't need to come in and camp out by the Guitar Heros after all. I think there were still a dozen of those.

* - Or was it Band Hero?
    ** - A 7-inch portable digital TV, which would be nearly useless in this town because the nearest stations are over 40 miles away. There must have been about 30 of the things. I picked up one for $59. I figured what I can do with it is use it on trips or hook up cable to it and use it in my home office. It would be small enough not to be in the way but big enough to still see a good image.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yup. Boxing Day (the day after Xmas). Same shit, different country

11. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Were you the one that wrote the "Black Friday is unchristian" part?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've done a bit of online Black Friday shopping for others; am wrestling with a choice on a GPS unit for myself. Don't really need one, but also saw one with a great price. Ordinarily, I'd pull the trigger. But I also bought a camera a couple of weeks ago and that was expensive enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted