1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Friday 2009

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The local Lord and Taylor was giving out $20 gift certificates to be used this weekend to the first 500 people in the store. My son got me up at around 5 so I threw him in the car, drove over and picked one up.

After the rest of the family woke up, we went back over. Between the door buster sale, a coupon and the $20, I got a $129 winter coat for my daughter for $28.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Well kiss my ass and call me drip.
    It was a fucking joke.
    A JOKE!!!!! Obviously, Laughing Out Loud (LOL) didn't register.
    The name calling definitely wasn't necessary but if that was the best you could do....

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Oh I get it. A joke.

Very much like the funny kind, only different.

Cosmo's point still remains.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Cosmo's opinion, just like yours, means very little to me.
    You are a name on a message board. Maybe that means something to you and that's great.
    In my life there are more important things.
    Obviously, you may have some serious issues if you couldn't tell that my post on black Friday was a joke and a play on words.
    You really need another hobby.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So, before this gets locked, I figured I'd share my BF story...

Got to Best Buy at 12:30 p.m. Thursday and was 12th in line. Recognized the people ahead of me from years past and we spent the next 16 and a half hours shooting the shit. I mean, seriously, time flew by.

4:30 a.m. comes, I find out Best Buy isn't doing tickets for the item I wanted (The Ps3) so I start to get panicked. No worries though. 5 a.m. rolls around, my brother and I are in and out in a cool 13 minutes and 27 seconds with EVERYTHING we wanted.

Roll up out of there and drive to Walmart. On the way, I see, out of the corner of my eye, a Radio Shack in the next plaza over. I run out there, grab the last Ps3 controller for $30, head to Walmart, get them to pricematch Smackdown vs. Raw 2010 for $40 from the KMart flyer (A flyer, by the way, some random customer gave me because I had lost mine earlier in the day at BB).

Choose the right line, in and out, home for 8 a.m.

All in all, I went 10-for-10 for items I wanted and I loved every second of it.

BTW, moment of the night-> This 50ish old lady comes by at around 8 p.m. She looks confused as to why we're all in line. I tell her we're waiting for Miley Cyrus because Miley is signing autographs. She totally buys it, tells her daughter on her phone and says she'll be coming right in a little bit. My whole line cracked up about that.

And, one other thing, we had about 10 people ask what we were all there for and, without missing a beat, I told this one guy we were all there for the new Lady Gaga CD. He doesn't believe me, asks some random old dude further down the line, that dude goes with it and says "Yep. Lady Gaga is awesome."
    LMAO. I love Black Friday.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You should be doing stand up instead of standing in BF lines.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I got to stay home with the kids while the Queen did a 14-hour Black Friday binge.

She left at 7:30 p.m. Thursday and sat in line at Toys R Us for those fucking Shit Zhu's or whatever they're called. Said when they were getting ready to open, the line was pretty organized and calm. Then as soon as the door opened, some broad bolted from the back of the line, running like Carl Lewis, to get in the store first. The small group of worker - the queen said they were no older than 17 - intercepted her. She started screaming, "I HAVE TO GET IN THERE! I HAVE TO GET IN THERE!" She wriggled free and ran in the store.

I guess I don't get. I like saving money and getting great deals and everything, but seriously? What? The? Fuck?

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Wow. Thanks for the encouragement. I might start hitting open mic nights.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Got my present to myself this morning...
    HP 8500 4-in-1 at Staples on sale this weekend for 150 instead of 300. Went to a thrift store this week and found an old printer for six bucks, traded it in for what was supposed to be 50 but turned out to be 60. (The current 4-in-1 is still in good shape and can be sold.) Had a coupon for 10 percent off any one item today and used a $50 gift card from debit card points.
    Total out of pocket, including tax was 38 bucks. Oh, and that included the $1 pack of HP photo paper that was regularly 10 bucks, but $1 as an early Friday doorbuster that they forgot to take the sign down for.

10. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

My Westinghouse TV only picks up the DuMont Network.

It's not such a bad thing. I get to watch Captain Video and His Video Rangers and The Morey Amsterdam Show in stunning black & white HD!

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Well done.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

That's insane. Did the first person get there on Sunday afternoon?

Draft saved Draft deleted