1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Friday 2009

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, it's not even Halloween. But some of the Black Friday sales are already leaking out ...

http://gizmodo.com/5387587/its-that-time-of-year-officemax-is-the-first-black-friday-ad-to-leak

(Edit: 2010!?! Yeesh, I meant 2009.)

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It makes sense. With credit tight, I can see stores pushing layaways, getting sales locked in early. Three weeks ago I saw an ad selling Christmas cruises, two weeks ago I began seeing ads for the new Christmas Carol movie, last week I began seeing pseudo "door buster" ads from big retailers. Yeech.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How much for Black Tacos?

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Eating a black taco on Black Saturday, while listening to Black Sabbath.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sears ...

http://gizmodo.com/5391757/sears-black-friday-ad-leaks-boatloads-of-cheap-hdtvs/gallery/

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If this isn't a slow Christmas for consumer sales, then Americans are idiots and I've completely lost faith in our long-term viability.

With unemployment high and credit getting increasingly expensive, surely we won't find a way to borrow a bunch more money this year?

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I, for one, am a big fan of Black Friday. It's the only sporting event I participate in these days.

But this year I'm hard pressed to think of something I actually need from Black Friday sales.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I never buy on Black Friday. I just sit in the food court and enjoy the fact it's the greatest people-watching day of the year.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

With a car payment for the first time in my life, and an actual, honest-to-Delhomme attempt to improve my credit by the time I need another car, I fear Black Friday may be out for me this year.

Which is honestly the hardest cut I'll have to make.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I've been seeing Thanksgiving commercials since mid-September and saw my first "this will make a great Christmas present!" ad before Oct. 1. I've also been seeing K-Mart layaway for Christmas commercials for at least two-three weeks now.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

For the first time in a long time, I have the Friday after Thanksgiving off.

Do you think I'd spend it in a crowd of crazed shoppers, spending money that I don't really have?

Nope. I'll be rubbing my belly and thinking of turkeys passed.

12. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

The Neiman Marcus in downtown Dallas is already putting up Christmas decorations on the exterior of the store.

Draft saved Draft deleted